RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi All,

have an 04 Range that's making the cowl noise at around 45 to 6omph. i've heard of putting silicone where the rubber end meets the windshield. are there other means to adjust the cowl? looking for a permanent fix to this issue.

it seems to be held down by plastic fasteners. but even with these fasteners, the cowls seems to be pretty loose and moves around rather easily. perhaps putting something on top of the cowl so that it is squeezed down by the hood?

thanks!
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
237 Posts
The solution I found and that works for a year now is to put a self-adhesive insulation rubber strip (the one for doors or windows) between the pollen filter housing and the lower part of the cowl (yellow arrow). This way the hood pushes down the cowl and the noise ceases. I had to remove the filter housing (white arrows point to the screws) to put the strip, but it can be done by simply lifting the cowl. I had to put 2 strips because they weren’t thick enough, I think about 1cm is required.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Very interesting. My car has been making this wind noise which usually happens during the cold months and the dealer could not rectify it. I was wondering if this remedy will work? It sounds like a sharp "whoosh" from the windshield. Are we talking about the same sound?
 

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
632 Posts
I had the dealer re-seal the windshield with silicone. It cost $60 and seems to have corrected the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
adara said:
The solution I found and that works for a year now is to put a self-adhesive insulation rubber strip (the one for doors or windows) between the pollen filter housing and the lower part of the cowl (yellow arrow). This way the hood pushes down the cowl and the noise ceases. I had to remove the filter housing (white arrows point to the screws) to put the strip, but it can be done by simply lifting the cowl. I had to put 2 strips because they weren’t thick enough, I think about 1cm is required.
Thanks for the tip. i'll be trying this very soon. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DocJoseph said:
Very interesting. My car has been making this wind noise which usually happens during the cold months and the dealer could not rectify it. I was wondering if this remedy will work? It sounds like a sharp "whoosh" from the windshield. Are we talking about the same sound?
Mine is more like a gradual whoosh sound that gets louder as i speed up. it would also increase in pitch. at times it would come about and/or go away randomly. Mine occurs throughout the year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stemikel said:
I had the dealer re-seal the windshield with silicone. It cost $60 and seems to have corrected the problem.
my dealer has resealed and "re adjusted" the cowl. but it always comes back eventually.
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
237 Posts
DocJoseph, for me it was a wooing sound that started at about 110km/h (68mph). The air coming from the front intake was lifting the cowl, but it took me a while to realize what was happening. I never had this noise again at any speed, even over 110mph... But as I know from my previous LR/Discovery3, noise can also come from the windshield's side trims. However, RR's trims seem much more rigid, so I would go for the cowl that looks very flimsy from the start. You can test my trick by simply inserting something between the filter housing and the cowl and drive a while.
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
237 Posts
hiko, my noise was always there when speeding, also didn't change in pitch, but you can try to insert a piece of cardboard and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Thank You guys for the suggestions. I will try to isolate the problem. The funny thing is that it is not always there.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top