RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
kmagnuss said:
Attention. Debbie downer has arrived.
:lol:
Well, according my my "rough" calculations, I can loosen the lug nuts if needed in that 10 seconds, then finish them off by hand :thumb:
I did not put the sliders on there to allow me to use air tools, although there is an input for the 12v T Max compressor I keep in the back to help the EAS compressor keep up if needed:dance:
My primary reason for plumbing the sliders into the air tank were to allow me to air the whole system up in @20 seconds if needed, and air a low tire up if I need to. For that, it works flawlessly, again according to my "rough" calculations :thumb:
For the guys down under that want diagrams of the sliders, bear with me as I just left home and am currently back on the road right now. But if I remember I will measure up all the pieces and send you diagrams via email. I have the brackets pre drilled IIRC, and the legs and sliders are all cut to size.
The air fittings are all in a bag, and I will measure the thread etc if needed also. :thumb:
Martin

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And my Thomas compressor fills the tank from plug out empty to full in 2:41. :)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
336 Posts
Hi
DD here again...

[attachment=0:upkg0rre]Debbie_Downer.PNG[/attachment:upkg0rre]
Debbie Downer theme song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yFSpml8oSw
kmagnuss said:
And my Thomas compressor fills the tank from plug out empty to full in 2:41. :)
Ok that's 2.5 gallons or 0.33420139 cuft. or approximately 1/12th of the 4cuft/min used by a rattle gun.

So that's around 5 seconds of use every 2:41. :think:

I apologise for trying to point out the practicalities, I REALLY DO hope it works out :pray: , but I'll leave this topic alone now. I look forward to seeing the video of the rattle gun being driven by the EAS air :)

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I will take a video of it running the impact gun............and just hide the shop airline connected to the slider :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Obviously this isn't going to be used as a first resort...but if air tools are needed out in the swamp, or a tire to be filled...it would be nice to have. I won't be carrying my 33 gallon compressor around the back unfortunately.

I'd rather bring a rifle to a gunfight...but I carry a pistol because I can hide it better. Same sort of thinking here.

·
Registered
401 Posts
you know you're from Florida when... everything can be properly referenced to a gun

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
for an air compressor, pressure and volume are inversely proportional, as the tank reaches shut-off pressure, the CFM of the compressor goes DOWN and vice-versa. With a 140psi tank, regulated to 80psi (for the rattle gun's max pressure...) it will run for a little while until the tank is at 80 psi and the compressor is trying to run the gun at that pressure. the max flow for the 337 is 1.4 CFM @ 0psi back-pressure. So assume 1cfm at 80psi (rough guess..). You can't run the tank to 0 and still have the gun work. it'll take a minute or 2 to completely refill the tank, but you don't need a complete fill.

I expect you can change a tire (5 lugs off, swap, 5 lugs on) without having to wait for the air pressure to catch up. at least coffee and a smoke wait time...

Then again, I keep this in the spare tire:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200342878_200342878

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Dennis, fear not mate, one of those sets of sliders has your name on it :thumb:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Peter Sanders said:
Hi
Ok that's 2.5 gallons or 0.33420139 cuft. or approximately 1/12th of the 4cuft/min used by a rattle gun.
Like Dennis said, you are neglecting the compressibility of air :naughty: If you have .334 cubic feet at 140 psi and the impact wrench uses 4 cfm at 80 psi, you have .334 cubic feet of air at 60 psi to use. Since 60 psi is about 4 atmospheres, this is the equivalent of 4 x .334 or 1.34 cubic feet. Combine that with the contribution of the compressor and the ability to drop a little below 80 psi and you should get around 30 seconds of continuous operation until running out of air. Since you won't run continuous, just enough to loosen the nut then on the next, you would get a little more. Should be enough for one wheel and the compressor will be recovering while you jockey the tires around to mount the new one.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I couldn't do a tyre on one tank with my old set up. There was enough power to loosen 3 or 4 wheel nuts, then you'd have to wait for it to recharge before undoing the last 1 or 2 nuts. Mine didn't have a regulator; tools were directly off the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Okay. I got the right angle fitting today, and hooked it back up. Even took a video.

Summary: With a 350 ft/lb impact gun, I could loosen all 5 nuts (I made sure they were torqued to 110 lbs each prior to the test). But...after driving for awhile, I'm sure that the nuts are a little tighter than that, so it may not do all 5 if there's some difficulty with a couple. Also...after I loosened 3 of the nuts I tightened them back up to over 110 ft/lbs and still had enough air to raise the pressure in one 16" tire from 12 psi to 22 psi in about 5 seconds. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it to above 30 in another 10 seconds or so.

I also think a regulator isn't a horrible idea if you plan on using air tools...as I'm not sure how much that gun could hold up to 120-150 psi being jammed through it for very long. I tried out my garage compressor at the recommended 90 psi immeditely afterwards, and it was slower and weaker removing and then putting back on the nuts than with the RR air.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
336 Posts
Hi

Ok, I'm impressed :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
kmagnuss said:
Summary: With a 350 ft/lb impact gun, I could loosen all 5 nuts (I made sure they were torqued to 110 lbs each prior to the test). But...after driving for awhile, I'm sure that the nuts are a little tighter than that, so it may not do all 5 if there's some difficulty with a couple. Also...after I loosened 3 of the nuts I tightened them back up to over 110 ft/lbs and still had enough air to raise the pressure in one 16" tire from 12 psi to 22 psi in about 5 seconds. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it to above 30 in another 10 seconds or so.
Forgive me if I seem as though I'm asking a pointless question, I'm just a little confused from the rest of the posts. With your current set-up, if you were on the trail and deflated all 4 of your tires, and then had to re-inflate them for the drive home, would you be able to do it? It wouldn't have to be all in one tank, but if you waited a couple minutes between each tire for the compressor to refill, would it be possible?

·
Registered
896 Posts
sweet video :clap: . i must have missed this post earlier...

when I get martin's sliders on, i will do another video of trying to air up the tires with the EAS/slider combo. only one slider is tapped for extra air capacity.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts