RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a little how to for those of you that would like to run air tools or fill tires or even fill your MARS kit when times go bad...with a twist. I needed to buy a 90 degree adapter to get it to work, and it hasn't come in yet. So I'll just post up the pics and that should give you the idea.

Big thanks to Scotty for getting me the EAS tank plug to make this work.

Take your drain plug from the EAS tank out. It looks like this:

You can do like I did, and buy an extra, just in case you eff it up you can still get out to the hardware store. You have two choices here...you can use the air inlet plug, which is on the top of the tank and already has a nice pilot hole drilled in it...or use the drain plug as pictured. I chose to use the one with the hole already...save a step. (Thanks Scotty)

Next use one of these:

7/16" drill bit

When you're done drilling the hole, using a drill press I hope, you then have to tap it using one of these:

Use a 1/4" NPT tap, as that is the standard airline fitting.

Then hook up the airline fitting of your choice. I chose this:

DON'T use that fitting. You won't be able to hook an air hose to it because it's too long and hits the cross member...as shown in the video.
Use some sort of 45 degree or 90 degree fitting. I'll post a pic when it comes in.

Here's a video of me thinking I'm about to run some air tools and fill up a tire... little did I know that the hose wouldn't hook up. :doh:

·
Registered
468 Posts
One thing I would do is add a fan to disperse heat from the pump. They tend to get pretty hot when using them for tyre filling.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
also remember that the EAS is at 140-150 psi, most air tools specify 90psi max, so put in a regulator....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is that a permanent plug or do you just put it on when needed? I could see mud getting in there and causing problems. Hose to the engine bay?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Did the same thing on the sliders I made:
[attachment=0:28zdj84h]sliders-web2.jpg[/attachment:28zdj84h]
Fitting on the far left is a quick connect, one in the middle is to tie it into the EAS tank. I used a double male to let me air the whole system up quickly, then a regular air line to use for tires, tools etc. The slider gave me another gallon IIRC of air volume.

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
LeftLaneTrucking

Do you have details, drawings, photos etc of your sliders?

Very interested in the attachment details.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
ytt105 said:
LeftLaneTrucking

I have another 2 sets ready to be welded up.........but that wont do you much good being in Aus :crybaby2:
I can take measurements etc, and email to you. They attach to the frame between the body mount U brackets, but i will take some pics when I get home if you wish?

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
336 Posts
Hi

Nice idea in principle, however most air tools require a good VOLUME of air, not just pressure. The EAS tank is really too small for really practical purposes.

That is the reason air compressors have a large tank attached. A 3/8" air drill or a 1/2" need approx 4cuft a minute to run properly. When you start to use a tool, the volume will diminish very quickly (from an EAS tank) and therefore the pressure will drop. The drop in pressure will severely reduce the power of the tool and continued use in this situation will then limit the recovery speed of the air volume in the tank.

If you use the tool without running the engine/compressor, reducing the pressure in the tank will affect that status of the EAS when you start the car.

What you really need is a much larger capacity compressor to keep up the volume. A better method could be the use of an old automotive air con compressor - emptied of fluids of course. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend the connection of such a compressor to the EAS tank the old refrigerant lubrication will pollute the clean EAS air.

Run the air-con compressor connected directly to the tool or perhaps use a (separate from the EAS) secondary tank. A secondary tank will provide a steadier air flow to the tool and help keep up the power when needed in bursts.

The info I read (a long time ago now) stated that the auto air con compressor can output approx 8cuft a minute at 1000 rpm. I used an air con compressor on my very first RR (89 Classic). It was great for pumping up the tires :)

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A. I have a Thomas 337 compressor.
B. I only intended to use the compressor with an air gun....to change tires. I won't be grinding away welds with a whizzer wheel or something. :doh:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Nice idea.
I went with a very big air compressor in order to go with this kind of setup.
My question is : does anyone knows the size of the drain plug of the EAS tank? It would be perfect no to drill anything.
Nobody in my country can give me information about it even with the drain plug out. For sure it's not metric because we compared and tried it in situ. So what is it? Is it BSP or NPT or ?

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
996TURBO said:
My question is : does anyone knows the size of the drain plug of the EAS tank? It would be perfect no to drill anything.
Nobody in my country can give me information about it even with the drain plug out. For sure it's not metric because we compared and tried it in situ. So what is it? Is it BSP or NPT or ?
Get a thread-pitch-gauge (- a lot of decent tap/die sets come with them). Get a micrometer and measure the diameter. Look up a thread description table or two or three. LR are fairly unique, but it's fairly unlikely they made up there own thread pattern! :)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Thanks for that imput.
Dunlop was a british company (i believe it is now owned by a Japanese group) so it must be BSP.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
This is the on-board air setup I use on mine, thanks to "Andrew e" on AULRO.com

It sits inline between the Thomas compressor and the tank. As shown below, I had to use a couple of T-pieces to splice the line to the air-locker regulator, take-off hose and regulator, and pressure gague/tank.

Works well for inflating tyres and the blower nozzle attachment is handy for cleaning stuff.

Best to keep the engine while using it though.

Cheers
Paul.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
ytt105 said:
LeftLaneTrucking

I have another 2 sets ready to be welded up.........but that wont do you much good being in Aus :crybaby2:
I can take measurements etc, and email to you. They attach to the frame between the body mount U brackets, but i will take some pics when I get home if you wish?

Martin
Hi Martin... alas, like ytt105 I am also in Oz or I would happily buy a set of your sliders. Any info you are prepared to share on how to make them would be most appreciated.

cheers
Paul.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
336 Posts
Hi

kmagnuss said:
A. I have a Thomas 337 compressor.
B. I only intended to use the compressor with an air gun....to change tires. I won't be grinding away welds with a whizzer wheel or something. :doh:
I hope it works for you. However according to online calculations using Google...

1 US gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet
1 litre = 0.0353146667 cubic feet

your extra slider "gallon" of air equates to 0.133680556 cubic feet, the 10 litre EAS tank equates to 0.353146667 cubic feet. Allowing for two sliders at a gallon each, this provides approximately 0.620507779 cuft total air volume. A "rattle gun" to remove wheel nuts etc requires approx 4cuft air per minute. So according to my very rough calculations you can operate the rattle gun for approximately 10 seconds.

According to a comment here http://www.customtacos.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-78005.html
right now i have one thomas 337 filling 10 gallons to 145 psi in like 4-6 mins.
The compressor will need that time (4-6 mins) to regenerate 1.33680556 cubic feet or approx one third of the rattle gun's required air flow.

Maybe I've missed something? :think:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts