RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently purchased a set of OEM 20" wheels (seven spoke) for my 2005 FFRR Range Rover.
The wheels came off a 2008 Range Rover SC Westminster and have TPMS sensors. My 2005 Range Rover originally had 19" six-spoke non-TPMS wheels/tires. Is it easy to activate/upgrade my 2005 range rover to use the TPMS sensors in the newly installed wheels/tires? What would be required?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
!

You'd need a compatible TPMS module integrated within the electronic network + instrument cluster of your car, and hard wired to four antennas behind each wheel well liner to collect the information transmitted by the four sensors in the new wheels and tires. Even if your 2005 was designed to accept such a system (not sure if TPMS was an available option in 2005, and whether the sensors used in the tires were the same type and frequency as those on MY06+), OEM parts and labor to hook everything up would likely cost you a bundle. If I were you, I'd put regular stem valves on the 20s and sell the used sensors on eBay for $30/40 each... They cost $60+ (new) from your local dealer. With the profit, buy yourself an aftermarket TPMS. :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi umbertob,
Thanks for the reply. Well, I guess that settles that. I was hoping it was an option to switch on via the land rover diagnostic laptop. If not, then I won't bother. The wheels came with OEM Continental CrossContact UHP tires already mounted.I was told they were used for only 3000 miles before being switched to some horrible aftermarket ones. The tire shop inspected before mounting and felt the description was accurate. To remove the sensors and remount is probably more trouble than its worth, no?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Honestly, I can't imagine too many tires being much worse than those OEM Conti CrapContacts that we have the misfortune of receiving as standard equipment with some Land Rovers, including my 2006 RRS. They are mediocre summer tires at best, OK on dry and wet pavement, bad everywhere else such as snow/ice, not especially quiet or long lasting, and their sidewalls are like butter: Big chunks of rubber will tear off them if you gently brush a curb, so be careful... Ask me how I know. :evil: The TPMS sensors aren't much harder or time consuming than regular valves to remove for a skilled tire shop, but if you want to leave them where they are there is no harm done, they work just like regular valves. Just remember not to use metal dust caps on TPMS sensors, use plastic caps only (there is actually a TSB from Land Rover about that.) Also, the sensor's metal stem is relatively delicate compared to a rubber valve and being so exposed to the elements it can become a liability off road - especially on rocky trails where flying stones can dent them and cause air leaks (I have seen it happen a couple of times already to others on local trails) - but I don't believe you will be doing much off-roading with those 20" bad boys anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know? `8)
What would be a good alternative? The Range Rover came with Toyo Proxies ST II already on it when I bought it 2.5 years ago. I loved those tires but, they were running out of tread after 20,000 miles (I was told they were at a little more than 50% tread at time of purchase so I think they were very durable). I bought the 20" wheels & tires for about the same price that I would have paid to get just new tires so I thought I was getting a good deal. The Toyos handled the snow awesome and I did notice that the OEM Continentals were not as good during the recent blizzard. I think we will be selling the Range Rover in less than a year and getting an 07/08 Range Rover SC. Should I bother with all of this or just wait it out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts