RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering buying a 2013 L320 RRS and was simply wondering how reliable they have proven to be over the years. Has anyone had problems with air suspension, drivetrain, or electronics in general? Everything about these trucks seems amazing on the surface simply due to the massive amount of great features that come specced standard on all of them, and also because of their somewhat affordable price, but it would be great to know if there are problems beneath the surface, or if they are just as great all around as they look.
Alex

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Many more owners have no issues at all than the folks that post issues on a forum.

As far as EAS, the rubber is a wear item much like tires. when the bladders crack and start to leak just replace the struts and enjoy many mores years of comfort and function

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is true. And ok, that is very logical, hopefully however the seals will just hold up for at least a good while from the factory. Do you have an idea of how much each strut will cost to replace by any chance? (Thank you for the reply btw)

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
28 Posts
I have a 2013 RRS HSE LUX and I love it. These trucks are amazing if TAKEN CARE of. The key word here was taken care of and it is very important to the performance and longevity of this beast. Mine was off lease and previous owner tried to maintain it as much as a leased vehicle made sense spending money on. Here are the list of stuff I have changed since purchasing it about a year ago. Mind you, going into the transaction, I knew there was an insurance claim on it and later I found out it was the sunroof that was replaced and was letting water in from the weep tubes. Since ownership I have changed the brakes, slotted rotors and powder coated the calipers, sport tuned the engine, changed the exhaust system from cat back with 3" black powder coated tips, added winter rims and tires, cabin filter, windshield cowl as the old one was leaking water into the cabin filter housing, refinished the factory rims, K&N filter, replaced battery, replaced all ignition coils due to misfire, regular oil changes every 5000km, replaced water pump, replaced wiper blades and changed all light bulbs with LED bulbs. List of things to do for 2019 is transmission oil change, fixing the water issue and maybe timing chain. As for the EAS I raise and lower the truck every time I have to get out of the truck as it makes it easier for me. They have kept up with my demand but I am ready to replace them when they have to be replaced. This amount of repair is not exclusive to RRS. Any 6 year old car needs this amount of maintenance to stay in tip top shape. It is just a little more expensive to maintain RRS. Finally, if you do decide to purchase one, take your time, take it for a spin, show it to your trusted mechanic and have him test everything to minimize the amount you have to spend bringing it to tip top shape and personally I would stay away from the supercharged ones. They are more expensive to maintain and they are a true guzzler. Also don't use cheap parts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had my '13 RRS SC for over a year and have had no major issues. The only items I have had to replace are the battery and right front airbag, but not the shock. I did have an issue with the rear turn signals and have not been able to diagnose the root cause so I circumvented the issue and wired them remotely from the side markers. I do regular oil changes at 20k miles.

She drives wonderfully and handles herself as well as any SC can do with hi-performance tires. Great on dry pavement, meek on wet/snowy. But all 500 of my horses want to run.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bought mine new and just do the annual maintenance on it and it runs like a champ. Mileages is real low on it still so don't see myself ever selling it. I've added the extended warranty but have never had to use it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
.....meek on wet/snowy.....
Really?? I take my '13 RRS skiing all the time and regularly operate it on icy/snowy/snow on ice conditions with no issues. Just last week I had to drive a friend home after their Jeep Liberty broke down and was warned about traversing a particularly nasty uphill stretch of road near their home. That's when I wanted to put the RRS to the test and it came through with flying colors. Mind you this was while operating it in the icy roads setting on the console and with Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires - essentially an aggressive tread all season tire.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Although not a 2013 model year, my 06’ Sport has been very reliable. It is still on the original air compressor. I have replaced the front airspring units, but not due to any leak, just the strut units inside were not working anymore. Of course it has required replacement of some parts; fan clutch, coolant reservoir, lower steering shaft, sway bar bushings. The biggest $$ replacements were the hard brake lines from the ABS unit to the rear (rusted through), fuel tank shield/support (also severely rusted) and the front differential (manufacturing defect that was not covered by any warranty).

I mostly use it in the winter to travel from NYC area to the Adirondacks, Vermont, and New Hampshire, which would explain the rusty bits.

If your Rover is “meek” in the snow, it is because you aren’t equipping it with the right tires. I use Nokian Hakkapelitta studded snow tires and haven’t found snow yet that I could not make it through. The RRS is a beast in the snow with the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for the reply! What you said is very true, as most cars around the same age would most likely require the same amount of maintenance. I am looking at the non-supercharged models as well and was wondering what you meant when you said you sport-tuned the engine as that sounds interesting and getting more power is never a bad option xD. If you have the chance, please let me know, and thank you so much again for your response! (Also I'm so sorry I'm replying so late, but I have just been busy for the last couple weeks)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's awesome to hear! Hopefully you will continue to have no issues, and I hope you continue to enjoy your supercharged beast. Thank you for the reply, and sorry for replying so late myself, I've just been very busy for the holidays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, that's great to hear. Roughly speaking, would you remember how much you paid for the extended warranty (which I'm presuming is from a Land Rover dealer)? Thank you for the reply, and I'm so sorry for replying to you this late.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the reply! Would you know if the front diff defect is a present problem on the newer RRSs like the 13s, or is it only really an issue on the older ones? Also that's pretty **** stupid that it was not covered at all by warranty

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really?? I take my '13 RRS skiing all the time and regularly operate it on icy/snowy/snow on ice conditions with no issues. Just last week I had to drive a friend home after their Jeep Liberty broke down and was warned about traversing a particularly nasty uphill stretch of road near their home. That's when I wanted to put the RRS to the test and it came through with flying colors. Mind you this was while operating it in the icy roads setting on the console and with Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires - essentially an aggressive tread all season tire.
My comment was more on the qualities of the tires and not my beloved Sport. Were I to move from the hi-performance road tire to an off-road type, she would be more able than most. I drove a Toy 4x4 for years with Desert Dueler tires that were the best sand tires but handled rocky terrain quite well. Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's were also an able set. The Conti's you mention appear to be a favorite with the RRS clan and I will put them at the top of my list when the current set are due to change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've now owned 2 2013 RRS SC's. The first I bought sight unseen and was a great vehicle - unfortunately it was smoked in (heavily). I tried with a series of commercial treatments and couldn't get it out. I then bought another w/ 40k miles. I upgraded the shoes to Copper Zeon LTZ's 275/45/20's - I think they look great. Ride smooth/true. I've had two minor issues so far: 1) leaking trans lines (ext warranty covered) 2) water pump... So overall, nothing too bad. Love this vehicle!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts