RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Rover and in Feb my one of cooler lines had came apart and was rusted and I replace it and put new coolant in the car and filled it up, car running just fine and then now today I get notice on my dash board that say check coolant level. It's been only 7 months since I replaced my coolant the line and coolant. I have been using a/c. I don't have any leaks currently, Should my coolant be low in only 6 months?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: How often should have to change your coolant on a 03 Rover?

The coolant will never run low unless there is a leak somewhere. My 2003 never needs to have a full coolant flush because all the little leaks keep a constant flow of new coolant coming :D

·
Registered
154 Posts

There has to be a leak somewhere - look for the chalky residue which is a clue. You dont want to be on the road when the tank/hoses decide to rupture (speaking from experience)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm gonna check the coolant level & add the additional amount need tonight after I get off work and then in the morning, while car sits overnight, I will see if there are any leaks, man this sucks, you can almost gaurantee that car will have to go to the shop about 3 times a year and im currently at 96,000 miles. I havn't seen any leaks for last 6 months but I will continue to keep a eye out for it.

·
Registered
646 Posts

check the over flow tank. Cracks develop and it will start to leak once the engine gets hot. Mine did this, I looked and didn't notice it until I fully removed the tank. Sure enough it was cracked. Replaced the tank and the problem went away.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

nsxxtreme said:
check the over flow tank. Cracks develop and it will start to leak once the engine gets hot. Mine did this, I looked and didn't notice it until I fully removed the tank. Sure enough it was cracked. Replaced the tank and the problem went away.
what does the overflow tank look like?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
166 Posts

If your looking at your engine facing the front of your car you find the coolant overflow resevoir on the right front corner (closer to where you stand) of the engine compartment. It will be black and has a black cap on the top. The seems tend to rip once preassure builds especially after about 60k miles. I had the exact same problem when I brought the car in to the dealer after a low coolant light and they said they preassure tested the system - no leaks -...2 weeks later the light went on and the resevoir showed some white chaulky resevoir. What tends to happen is as your engine gets hot and the coolant gets hot and builds pressure in the system you can get a small rip in the seem of the coolant resevoir or a pinhole leak. This will only leak water when the engine is hot and there is pressure in the system/reservoir. In my car the pin hole leak was only visable after I drove the car for some time in hot weather.

If this is your case - the sollution is obviously a new resevoir however make sure not to overfill the resevoir, use bmw blue coolant and you might want to consider changing the cap of the resevoir as its supposed to regulate/expel excess pressure. I have heard others replacing the thermostat and also the top and bottom radiator hose for added protection. My theory is that the coolant resevoir tears/leaks because of too much preassure in the system due to one of the above mentioned componants failing while others argue that the coolant resevoir itself is prone to leaks.

good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
646 Posts

J.Millionaire said:
nsxxtreme said:
The black bottle you keep filling :D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

nsxxtreme said:
The black bottle you keep filling :D[/quote]

Good catch!!! :clap: :thumb:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So far so good, I havn't been experincing any problems, I did add some additional coolant(bmw blue stuff). Car has been running fine, no leaks, overheating,dry chalky res or any messages on dash. Maybe they just didn't add enough coolant the first time. I only needed to add less than a 1/4 of the coolant container and half of it included water.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
166 Posts

If its a slow leak (like mine was) you wont see any change for 3-6 months. Hopefully they didnt fill with enough coolant - let us know what happens

·
Registered
99 Posts

Don't forget to check around the water pump on the front of the engine mine failed after only 50K miles. The bearings were totally shot :cry: .

Also had to replace the rad it only leaked when the car was cooling down after a run, could not see it leaking when the engine was hot. You can usually smell it when there is a bit of a leak however small.

John

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
200 Posts

Between replacing two alternators, one radiator, and one water pump, I've never had old coolant! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts