RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
You really shouldn't be going through much at all...maybe 1/2 qt tops.

Me, on the other hand....I go through 1 qt every 5k miles. But I have a leaky valve cover that I refuse to fix again. :thumb:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,758 Posts
? :shock: Acceptable would be zero.
Realistic would be slightly less than zero due to a Rangie marking it's territory.

At 160K, changing oil every 3K miles, I loose none out the rear and about 4 or 5 tablespoons due to a leaky camshaft sensor. I am in the midst of a full rebuild and was shocked to find almost no remnants of the O-ring on said sensor. The area around it and the entire front cover look like black cottage cheese. The rest of the engine has always been oil free from leaks.

Once your oil level starts to drop enough to notice on your dip stick it is time to start looking at serious leaks. If you are not leaving puddles or piddles then you should start looking at valve seals or similar issues. If you are "loosing" major amounts over 3Kmiles you could have ring failure and would most likely be showing rough idle/running issues.

I would pull and check spark plugs first. If they are black and flakey, you are most likely buring oil.

G

·
0 Posts
If you approach the car and don't see a small puddle then keep looking. Your car must be somewhere else.

Seriously, british engines leak like crazy. I a quart per 5,000 miles is nothing unusual.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rrtoadhall said:
? :shock: Acceptable would be zero.
Realistic would be slightly less than zero
Sounds like a Bret Easton Ellis novel, that.

[quote:1ousn1pf] I loose none out the rear and about 4 or 5 tablespoons due to a leaky camshaft sensor. I am in the midst of a full rebuild and was shocked to find almost no remnants of the O-ring on said sensor. The area around it and the entire front cover look like black cottage cheese.
I'm going through Rave to find out where this is, since I noticed a dirty area (sounds like your "cottage cheese" area but a little less pronounced--maybe more like brownie crumbs) around an area on the left side of the engine.

I would pull and check spark plugs first. If they are black and flakey, you are most likely buring oil.
[/quote:1ousn1pf]
Thanks for the tip. All of a sudden I have a whole bunch of Rover fires to put out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Engines really should use a bit of oil; they have to in order to lubricate the bores properly.

If designed properly then if you fill it to the max line when doing an oil change and you change the oil according to the book then it should be on the minimum line when you drain it.

That counts for any engine if designed properly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you ask the Land Rover dealer how much oil is normal to lose they will tell you 1 qt every 800 mi is fine if it involves a warranty issue. If it involves them getting to charge you to do major service to your vehicle, 1/2 qt every 3000 mi is far too much. I have found that it is a very situational answer based entirely on their profit margin.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought that if a rangerover didn't have oil leaks you could have it fixed under warranty.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I wish!!!

Scotty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts