RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

my L322 only came with one key and is the non-fold-away type. I was about to buy the foldaway upgrade on ebay for about £27 but was just curious to know how much a complete new replacement key would be from land rover?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
New key cost me $210. Bought the key from BPUtah. It was the cheapest place I found. In the UK, the key frequency is different, 410 MHz or something like that, so you'll have to buy one in country. They ALL come from LR directly, did not find any way around this. You have to provide VIN and registration before you can order the key. I ended up buying two keys, having them reprogrammed at the dealer. All in for two keys and programming it was $840 total. Programming was the same regardless if it was one or two keys. When you have the keys reprogrammed you need to have all keys that you want to work present because they will all be paired together.

The keys on EBAY will not work. (I actually bought one, found a locksmith to cut it and the key itself does work but will not start the car because it lacks the chip) They do not come with programmable chips. It's just an empty shell you can transfer the chip into, which will still have to be cut by a locksmith and from what I've read the ones that will do it are hard to find. I was lucky and found one close to my house and he charged me $45. Used ones that have chips and have already been mated to a RR will not ever be able to be matched to another car. You will not find an uncut, unprogrammed, with chip, key in the known universe as far as I could tell. I tried...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have just purchased one of the flip style keys from ebay and I'm very impressed with it, it is well made and definitely and upgrade on the old key. I had two keys and have taken the chip out of one of them and transferred to the new key. i wasn't keen on sending a pic of my key to get it cut to the guy on ebay, so opted for the blank and got it cut at Timpson for a fiver.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here in Toronto, Canada the Land Rover dealer will charge about $250 for a new key + one hour of labour (currently at $165/hour) to reprogram your set of keys, so total is a little over $400 + tax.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take a look at this link - https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/313705-need-spare-key-dealer-wants-550-help.html

This gives you all the information you need, and don't pay the dealer to resync your remotes, that takes a couple of minutes.

Range Rover MKIII - Key Sync Procedure

To link a key with the L322 Range Rover Body Control Module (BCM) there are a few steps that need to be performed.
1. Enter the vehicle and make sure that all doors are shut and locked.
2. Insert the new key into the ignition switch.
3. Turn the key to position 1. Turn the key to position 0 and remove within 5 seconds.
4. Within 25 seconds perform the following steps
5. Press and hold the unlock button on the remote.
6. Press the lock button 3 times.
7. Press both unlock and lock together.

If the procedure was successful, the doors will lock and unlock.
Repeat steps 4-7 for additional keys.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,148 Posts
FYI - that procedure just syncs your key FOB to your car for locking and unlocking, it doesn't not allow you to use a new key with the immobilizer. Thats what your paying the dealer for. now they may try to jam you for resyncing the FOBs, but as long as any new key will actually start your vehicle you can use the above procedure to sync the lock/unlock functions yourself. When you use this procedure, make sure you do it in the order you want the keys to be used, because the order determines the driver number, ie driver 1, driver 2, etc. which controls all of your personalization settings, seat position, radio settings, steering wheel position, etc. First key is driver 1, second is driver 2, third is driver 3 etc. I have 3 different kinds of keys, 2 different types of flip keys, (one of which is always accidently locking or unlocking a door if its in my pocket due to its design) and 2 of the old straight non flip key so it matters to me which one is mine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Expanding on what Mark has explained in his detailed post above, to A1EK (the original poster), if you want to upgrade an existing fixed blade key to a newer flip key, then yes you can purchase a flip key off eBay which should come with an HU92 blank blade. You will need to bring this blank blade (along with your other working key) to a local locksmith to cut accordingly.

Make sure the new key you purchase is the correct frequency for your country (315 MHz is used in North America and 433.92 MHz is used in Europe and Asia). You can then sync the lock/unlock buttons of all your keys by following the steps outlined in MrE's post further above. This will enable all the buttons to work on all the key fobs.

The final step is to open up your existing fixed blade key and move the transponder over to the new flip key. The transponder is what de-activates the immobilizer and enables you to turn the key in the ignition and actually start the vehicle.

I should point out that if you are not upgrading a key but rather adding a new key, you will need to purchase a new one from the Land Rover dealer, then have them program it to your vehicle for the first time otherwise you won't be able to start the car with it. Once it's programmed, know that you can then move the transponder that's inside that key fob over to any other new key you may want to upgrade to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts