Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 RRS HSE TDV6 76,000 miles
  • alternator pulley sheared off. Landrover wanted >$1500 to replace it and fit a new belt. Bought an alternator from eBay with a 1-yr warranty and new belt from LR and fitted it myself in an hour or two saved over $1K
  • front and rear brake pads after 30,000 did it myself- dead easy - again saved $$$
  • front pads and rotors at 70,000 again did it myself and upgraded to slotted vented rotors as I’m towing heavy stuff. Saved over $1k
  • passenger airbag warning light. Apparently due to a known wiring loom issue. I’ve meant to take it in for repairs but the dealer seemed to think that at some point there’s going to be a factory recall and as it’s totally non-critical I should wait.
My conclusion is that there’s a lot of haters who either through jealousy, ignorance or just plain dumbassness like to spread stories about how unreliable Range Rover L494s are. Mine has been very reliable and quite honestly pretty easy to fix the few expensive things that have needed doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most of these posts are from North America - this one is from “The Land Down Under”.
My 2017 SE TD V6 (225 KW/700 NM - goes very well) ) at 68,000 K has been almost perfect.
Only one small blemish at under 2K when the electronic fuel pump sender unit failed 800K from home. Completely fixed under warranty, RR Australia paid for flights home (X2) all taxis to/ from airport, flatbed truck 80k back to nearest dealer, road transporter to home base.

Exceptional service - and nothing has gone wrong at all in the 4.5 years since. Very Happy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Im in the U.S and i have 309,000 miles on mine , most of it heavy towing and all machinery is still original except for the transfer case , replaced 2 years ago....SOfar so good , redoing interior lining and some cracked plastics replacements but no major issues....
Did you do timing belt?

·
Registered
330 Posts
2016 RRS HSE TDV6 76,000 miles
  • alternator pulley sheared off. Landrover wanted >$1500 to replace it and fit a new belt. Bought an alternator from eBay with a 1-yr warranty and new belt from LR and fitted it myself in an hour or two saved over $1K
  • front and rear brake pads after 30,000 did it myself- dead easy - again saved $$$
  • front pads and rotors at 70,000 again did it myself and upgraded to slotted vented rotors as I’m towing heavy stuff. Saved over $1k
  • passenger airbag warning light. Apparently due to a known wiring loom issue. I’ve meant to take it in for repairs but the dealer seemed to think that at some point there’s going to be a factory recall and as it’s totally non-critical I should wait.
My conclusion is that there’s a lot of haters who either through jealousy, ignorance or just plain dumbassness like to spread stories about how unreliable Range Rover L494s are. Mine has been very reliable and quite honestly pretty easy to fix the few expensive things that have needed doing.
Same here. Have done a few things myself to save a few thousand. Fixed air ride,a/c,def issue and a couple other things.

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8
42 Posts
Exact same thing happens with McLarens.

·
Registered
330 Posts
To the both of you, with that many miles - how has your RRS Td6 treated you guys as far as maintenance & problems (if any) go?
Its actually been pretty good. What made it nice is I was able to fix everything myself. We've put 20k miles so far. My wife is happy with it but now wants the Defender. I tell her why you want to downgrade

·
Registered
2019 RRS HSE Td6
57 Posts
Its actually been pretty good. What made it nice is I was able to fix everything myself. We've put 20k miles so far. My wife is happy with it but now wants the Defender. I tell her why you want to downgrade
That is great to hear! I used to have a pretty loaded 2016 RRS HSE Td6... sold it about a year ago. I really missed it and now I am getting back in the same car but a 2019 and loaded with more options with a different exterior color... will have it next week. This is the RRS I used to have below.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
Just curious of how many miles you have on your L494 and if you have had any major problem. I have a 2014 RRS SCV8 Dynamic which currenty has 76k miles on it. It has never given me a problem (fingers crossed) and has only been in the shop for routine maintenance.
2014 RR Autobiography 214,000. I have replaced the timing chain at 200,000 and crossover pipe. That’s about it. It’s been a great truck so far.

·
Registered
237 Posts
2017 RRS SCV8 Autobiography. Bought it with ~15k miles on the odometer and I have nearly 60k trouble-free miles on it now!

Tons of city miles, a few long roadtrips (500+ miles roundtrip), many off-roading trips, lots of time on snowy mountain roads, and not even a single rattle to be heard. Meanwhile my 2017 Cayenne GTS prior to this with 25k miles rattled from everywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Exact same thing happens with McLarens.
Tell that to my 720..at the dealer 4 times now for miscellaneous electrical bits not working, and limp mode.

My 14’ Sport I drove to 70k miles, water pump, front CV axle, nothing else. Suspension bushings didn’t make noise.

My current 16’ L405 is at 94k miles. 2 water pumps, all front bushings, air compressor, belt shredded. Transfer case, diffs, and transmission flushed and all work as new.

17’ L405 to 80k(?)miles, under warranty was transfer case fluid, front bushings, water pump..out of warranty nothing.

Other 14’ sport was perfect all the way to 55k miles.

All of my cars get around 30-50k highway miles per year.

I’m not looking forward to “upgrading” to the facelift L494..all of those screens is bleh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8
42 Posts
Tell that to my 720..at the dealer 4 times now for miscellaneous electrical bits not working, and limp mode.

My 14’ Sport I drove to 70k miles, water pump, front CV axle, nothing else. Suspension bushings didn’t make noise.

My current 16’ L405 is at 94k miles. 2 water pumps, all front bushings, air compressor, belt shredded. Transfer case, diffs, and transmission flushed and all work as new.

17’ L405 to 80k(?)miles, under warranty was transfer case fluid, front bushings, water pump..out of warranty nothing.

Other 14’ sport was perfect all the way to 55k miles.

All of my cars get around 30-50k highway miles per year.

I’m not looking forward to “upgrading” to the facelift L494..all of those screens is bleh!

My 570 has been flawless for 2+ years and now looking to move into a 720. British cars seem to have random electrical gremlins I guess.

I opted for a 17' CPO RRS SC with 20K miles earlier this year as I wasn't digging all the screens in the 18'+ model myself either. :D Bought just before car prices went through the roof thankfully. Gonna daily this and see what the redesigned model looks like in a year or so.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2006 RRS HAS 212k miles and still going strong. I had one electrical issue two or three years back but since resolved I only have the slow leaking coolant issue, whereas I just carry around a spare bottle of coolant nowadays versus trying to track down the small leak and pay a fortune, it’s basically become a non-issue since I don’t drive it every single day.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
My 570 has been flawless for 2+ years and now looking to move into a 720. British cars seem to have random electrical gremlins I guess.

I opted for a 17' CPO RRS SC with 20K miles earlier this year as I wasn't digging all the screens in the 18'+ model myself either. :D Bought just before car prices went through the roof thankfully. Gonna daily this and see what the redesigned model looks like in a year or so.
2017 ATB Sport was my go to, unfortunately none in a spec that I liked..premium sound, winged headrests, adaptive cruise/self parking..

2017s seem to be scarce with good options..unless it has a black or red interior.

Lucky purchase before the values rocketed, I’d love a new car however they’re $10-15k more than pre corona! Waiting game is on I suppose. No way I’m taking the hit on a new car again.

·
Registered
2018 Ranger Rover Sport HSE
246 Posts
2018 RR Sport HSE 15,000 miles

·
Registered
‘16 HSE Loire Blue/Almond, Useless 3rd Row
91 Posts
‘16 HSE SCV6 just turned 60k miles. I’ve only owned for a few months, but DIY’d both diffs and transfer case fluids, as well as transmission fluid and air/cabin filters to baseline and overmaintain, installed a hitch, replaced window switch bezel, which was peeling. Dealer just did oil/filter, all pads & rotors and fuel pump before my purchase. I’ll do oil/filter once per year since I put on less than 5K miles/yr. Uninterrupted service records back to new. No issues to date.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

21 - 40 of 58 Posts