RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
There was a post on AULRO recently about a p38 just clicking through 600,000km. I think it all comes down to servicing and proper care.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
It does. Regular oil and filter changes with decent quality oil will reduce wear and keeping everything as it should be all helps. Mine had a head start as when it was a police car it would have clocked up lots of miles but would have been serviced meticulously. I also think running on LPG helps as it's a cleaner hydrocarbon so the oil stays clean and being a vapour rather than a liquid there's no bore wash when running from cold.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Makes mine seem like its still being run in aswell!

2001 4.6 Vogue, on petrol/LPG. I bought it Jan 2012, and it had done just over 101,000 miles. Its now at just under 112,000.

Planning on refreshing the ending soon as its a bit tappety and got the transfer case to swap as chain stretched. Other than that, she's still a joy to drive and will hopefully continue to behave!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m considering an ‘08 with very high miles. Is this just a go-no or if checked out and maintained, can they be a decent purchase? I do have the cash to do preventative maintenance, but wouldn’t want to spend more than 3-4K a year over the first couple of years and then hope to not have major ongoing costs for a couple years after. My thinking is that I could easily spend twice as much for a lower mileage one and still have similar maintenance. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/255534492

·
Registered
264 Posts
My September 99 car has about 220,000 km and runs fine. Nothing done to the engine as far as I know. Doesn't even leak oil and everything works. I am working on replacing stuff that is likely to fail at some point like fuel pump and CPS.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
384,970 miles (or 615, 952 kms) at the moment but it's got at least another 10,000 to do in the next few months. I'm hoping to get it up to 400k before the next MoT test in August next year......

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just sold both my P38’s this year, the 96 was around 232,000 and my 2000 was at 208,000.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Based on the responses, plus what I see in the market, if properly cared for they go basically forever. Granted everything will need to be replaced, but all doable.

Given my '96 just went over 50k.....think she'll be around for a LOOONG time.

Just wanted to see how long the truck runs for and how many miles they are known to last before engine dies out. I'm currently at 147k.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am up to 180000 and just passed my CA smog easily.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just passed 100,000 on the way home from work yesterday. Still on air and everything works. I just hope it can't read and decides to break just to prove me wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 99 4.0 with Bosch electrics now has 247,000 km. on it, about 230,000 miles. All I've done on the motor is new head gaskets, which I did myself about 30,000 miles ago. Otherwise the drivetrain is original. I just drove down to southern California from Canada, about 1300 miles. No issues, except that lovely HVAC system. Whatever happened to simple levers to open and close flaps instead of those stupid blend motors? It's all those electronics that turn me off new vehicles. By the way we don't get much snow, but I've driven in 18 in. of fresh snow with good all season tires, no sweat.

Hal in Canada
Same here. My '99 4.0 Gems has 204k miles on it, I did the head gaskets meself - not too difficult - although re-assembly was challenging - I counted over 100 parts to put back together - in the correct order! Other than than, the engine seems solid as. As for the blend motors - I did not trust that new one would last long - I don't think the plastic gears can handle Minnesota cold temperatures. So, I hooked up some thick coat hanger wires and now I have manual on/off heat that actually Works! Kevin in Minneapolis.

·
Registered
29 Posts
234,000 kms on my 96 4.6L HSE still going strong up here in the great white north of Canada ! Feel as though I need to do my head gaskets soon enough and take care of a oil pan leak but that's all! Original driveline , motor

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
237 Posts
Same here. My '99 4.0 Gems has 204k miles on it, I did the head gaskets meself - not too difficult - although re-assembly was challenging - I counted over 100 parts to put back together - in the correct order! Other than than, the engine seems solid as. As for the blend motors - I did not trust that new one would last long - I don't think the plastic gears can handle Minnesota cold temperatures. So, I hooked up some thick coat hanger wires and now I have manual on/off heat that actually Works! Kevin in Minneapolis.
interesting. can i see that setup?

·
Registered
21 Posts
interesting. can i see that setup?
Nope. Too hard to photograph. I did cut access holes in the console sides. And it took a while to find the right guage wire - one that would bend and keep the bends, but also stiff enough to push/pull and not lose its shape. Then routed them thru to the dash with rubber handles. To lock them into the blend door levers, I put in a short right angle at the end once thru the hole, then twisted on an electrical connector - fit perfectly!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
48 Posts
115K miles on my 2000 4.0, 210K on my 91 3.9. No internal engine work on either one, both run stellar. The 91 is my "farm truck" so it gets hammered hard. Pay attention to fluid changes.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts