RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see how long the truck runs for and how many miles they are known to last before engine dies out. I'm currently at 147k.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,197 Posts
240,000 Miles here.
Freshened up the motor at @130,000 IIRC.

Martin

·
Registered
605 Posts
It varies on how it's cared for.
I also have this thing about vehicles built on Fridays and Mondays. I don't think they last as long.

Friday, everyone is anxious to get off of work and head to the pub, so they through the cars together.

Monday's coming off a weekend and looking ahead to next weekend. Cars are put together on a hangover.

That said, my Discovery is a Tuesday car and has been nearly trouble free since 98. My RR is a Friday car, and has a long list of issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
94,000. I've seen plenty with 140-160,000 miles on craislist with the original engine and they don't even appear to be well cared for, so I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 99 4.0 with Bosch electrics now has 247,000 km. on it, about 230,000 miles. All I've done on the motor is new head gaskets, which I did myself about 30,000 miles ago. Otherwise the drivetrain is original. I just drove down to southern California from Canada, about 1300 miles. No issues, except that lovely HVAC system. Whatever happened to simple levers to open and close flaps instead of those stupid blend motors? It's all those electronics that turn me off new vehicles. By the way we don't get much snow, but I've driven in 18 in. of fresh snow with good all season tires, no sweat.

Hal in Canada

·
Registered
883 Posts
156,XXX miles. 11k on the new motor.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
130,000klm and had its share of problems. I find here in Aus that high kilometres on a country car can be a better purchase than low k,s on a city car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. I thought there were well known to go over 250k miles mark. But I'm gonna stay positive. I hadn't done anything to the car yet, other than coil overs. nothing engine wise or transmission, knock on wood.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
With the exception of Martin, who isn't on the original motor anyway, none of you are even trying. 288,000 miles, or 460,000 kms, on my white one. I bought it at 205,000 and it had recently had the heads off and the bores honed but whoever did it had damaged both head face so the gaskets burnt through within a couple of hundred miles. Now it's getting a bit tired, compression is down to around 115-120 psi and below 2,000 rpm it's flat and gutless but it is the original motor. I suspect most of the problem is in the top end as it doesn't use any appreciable amount of oil or blow fumes out of the oil filler but as I now have the blue one running nicely, the engine in the white one is about to come out and be done fully, including a set of top hat liners to make it bulletproof. As for the rest of the car, the transmission and axles are original, but I have fitted a set of new air springs and it has an EAS compressor dated 2008 so that was changed before I got it.

Mind you, as an ex-police car, mine was virtually hand built by Land Rover Special Vehicles so I don't have the Friday/Monday car problem, all of them were properly screwed together.

·
Registered
139 Posts
..mine is at 256 000 KM right now..all original, and running smooth and strong, with no issues at all..however, im maintenance maniac, so maybe thats why car is like that..

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,197 Posts
Just reread my post.....Freshened the original motor up at @230,000 miles with new bearings, pistons and rings, bored .020 over, crank ground, camshaft kit, etc, not 130,000 like I posted. I bought it with 150,000 miles already on it, so that woulda been kind of impossible. Drove it literally across country here, as well as some heavy daily driving duties. That motor came out @10,000 miles later to make room for the LSx engine that is currently between the frame rails.

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Childs play ya all! My 96 had 300K on it when I pulled the motor and it ran GREAT, just burned a lot of oil. It now has 330K I have 160 miles on the new drive train..

·
Registered
156 Posts
185K miles on my 1995 4.0 manual owned from new. LPG conversion at 96K miles. Right hand head gasket went at 180K miles so now has a nice new Turner enginered engine in it. Purrs along and then roars when coaxed.
Rgerads
Paul C

1 - 20 of 67 Posts