RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question.
But is it true that new paint takes time to cure properly? So how long after you take delivery can you apply wax? I have a new RR and I’m interested in waxing to protect it.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you went and had your car painted at a shop, that new paint would require cure time. During that cure time you would want to avoid sealants, ceramics, and other coatings.
Wax is almost always fine.
Any time you buy a new car, you can consider that paint as cured/hardened, and ready for whatever.

·
Registered
224 Posts
But is it true that new paint takes time to cure properly? So how long after you take delivery can you apply wax? I have a new RR and I’m interested in waxing to protect it.
Thoughts?
That’s 30 days after being freshly painted. Not sure if factory painting process even requires this much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
No manufacturer would allow a product to be delivered if it wasn't 100% ready!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I stopped waxing quite some time ago. Get a proper paint correction (with or without a ceramic coat) and you'll be good for months. I do it once a year, then get touch free washes or detail spray as needed. And I live in a winter / salt environment.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I stopped waxing quite some time ago. Get a proper paint correction (with or without a ceramic coat) and you'll be good for months. I do it once a year, then get touch free washes or detail spray as needed. And I live in a winter / salt environment.
It needs to be sealed whether you do it with wax or ceramic. Correcting the paint and then not sealing it doesn't make any sense. .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Folks with these types of cars don’t use wax as a sealant anymore. For one, they don’t last long. Two, the continuous applications without being severely meticulous on how you apply it will only result in potential abrasions and eventually swirl marks since 90% of folks are not familiar with the appropriate application techniques. And three, more cost effective with sealants like ceramic coating for the long term. But to answer your question, scientifically around 45 days from the time the paint is applied at the manufacturer. That is a conservative estimate for the chemicals to fully breathe and complete their curation time. I used to paint correct professionally as a side gig growing up. My father is a retired paint and body shop owner.
Thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts