RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my RRS car to to an Independent LR dealership for the 90K service, which isn't much, just an oil change, cabin filter (something I can actually do myself lol) and just some random checks (like wipers, etc).

The dealer is Eurofix...has a ton of reviews. The guy seemed knowledgeable and nice, definitely wasn't trying to sell me anything or lazy or anything. But my concern is it only took maybe 20-25 mins....did he actually do the service? I'm not sure how long an oil change is suppose to take.

He did say with my car they didn't need to drain the oil from the bottom and they could take it from the top? that's why it didn't take long.

And he said my tires and brakes look good (but he never took the wheels off the car...not sure if you can check brakes without taking the wheels off?)

My last service was at a LR dealership (year and half ago) and they mentioned some contaminants and said to do a brake flush and some other flushes (coolant?)....didn't say it was required at that time but that I should think about it. But this Eurofix said there's no way of knowing if your brake fluid has contaminants and you should replace the fluid by time (every 5 years).

Although I know my tires are good and I got my brakes done about 10k ago and didn't get a light for the brakes so I'm sure they are probably fine...is there a way to check if an oil change was done? (fyi my last oil change was about 7k and and a year and half ago)

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
First Post up what year and specifics on your car, put it in your signature. It helps a lot in answering your questions. If you have a 5.0 2010-2013 sport then it takes minutes to do the oil change. It is pumped out through the top and the filter sits on the top front of the engine. Can be completed in probably 10 to 15 minutes easily.

if you have a 4.4 or 4.2 pre 2010 then you have to remove the skid plates to get the oil filter out from the bottom.

Also depending on your climate brake fluid is hygroscopic and can get moisture in it. Here in SoCal we have no moisture so no need to change it often at all, but if someone lives PNW or east coast there is a lot more moisture and rain then maybe every 2-3 years (jag recommends every 2 years, Rover does not have it listed in their owners manual at least last time i checked)

Brake pads cam be inspected from the outside on most all Rovers.

As for flushes, We used to call them wallet flushes for a reason. Some of it is unnecessary, and just sold to make more money, some of it is necessary and good for preventative maintenance. I would trust the little guy that sounds like he is not trying to sell you something. Its the guys at the bigger stores that typically are on commission and flag hour that tend to sell all the flushes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Do a Google search for doing an oil service on the 5 liter engine. You will find a couple of good videos (Umberto's is best) on how it is done. I was able to routinely change the oil and filter from the top in about fifteen minutes. Most of the time was dumping the dirty oil back into a recycling container.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
So.... you got good service in a timely manner, without any upsell BS, and was told everything else is good?
Not really sure what your issue is. The Indy shop (not dealership btw) did you right. End of story.
Hopefully for your sake, they aren't on here reading your implied meaning of them not doing your little oil change, then decide you're more hassle than its worth as a customer. I know I have certainly dealt with a few, that I'd rather lose the revenue than deal with the drama....

Martin

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
And he said my tires and brakes look good (but he never took the wheels off the car...not sure if you can check brakes without taking the wheels off?)
It's easy if you have and open wheel pattern. the other way is use an inspection mirror. There is rarely a need to remove rims to see disc brake pad condition.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
They only thing I don't like is that they didn't change the filter
That's usually included in the saying "oil change"... especially on a mileage dependent service.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yep: and since the filter is on top, usually change it while the old oil is being suctioned out. Incredibly simple. Agree with Martin: Sounds like you have found a good, honest, reliable independent.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
434 Posts
Wouldn’t hurt to change brake fluid at 5 years - most shops should be able to test the fluid in the reservoir for moisture in seconds !

I had a Prius in California and asked the dealer to flush the fluid after 8 years - they wouldn’t do it ! So I asked them to test it at least. Came back at < 1% ....so all good.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
7 Posts
So.... you got good service in a timely manner, without any upsell BS, and was told everything else is good?
Not really sure what your issue is. The Indy shop (not dealership btw) did you right. End of story.
Hopefully for your sake, they aren't on here reading your implied meaning of them not doing your little oil change, then decide you're more hassle than its worth as a customer. I know I have certainly dealt with a few, that I'd rather lose the revenue than deal with the drama....

Martin
Hmm. The OP question seems very honest to me and very reasonable. I might have had the same question had I not researched the cool feature of quickly changing the oil from topside. And I am a professional engineer with 30 years+ of changing my own oil.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Hmm. The OP question seems very honest to me and very reasonable. I might have had the same question had I not researched the cool feature of quickly changing the oil from topside. And I am a professional engineer with 30 years+ of changing my own oil.

There is a point in there somewhere?
As a "professional engineer", I would have thought you to have already investigated and concluded that the oil is changed from the top on most cars these days, then found a way to make it more complicated and require a special tool? Not the case I am guessing?
And what does the "professional engineer" pompous bit have to do with an oil change? The idiots at Jiffy Lube and Wal Mart have also been changing oil forever, without engineering degrees. I think we can safely assume your "professional engineer" statement has absolutely nothing to do with either this thread, or an oil change......

·
Registered
70 Posts
so when I take my RRS 2013 HSE in to Jiffy Lube(I know - why would you do that). I believe they are taking off the skid plate. This seems to take them a while. Is there no skid plate on a 2013?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts