RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Quick question today. I just went to turn my Rover on, and it was quite the effort for the ol' girl. It's -14º outside, and I figured it's high time I plug the block heater in. Now I know it's no problem having the block heater plugged in overnight and then driving the car in the morning. However, there are days where I will not be using the vehicle. Is it alright if I leave the block heater plugged in for extended periods of time?

The reason I ask is I figure it'd be an easy habit to get into to just plug the thing in every time I come home. I just didn't know if that might cause any unwanted side effects.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

John

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
It's fine.
I plug my big rig in when I get home, unplug it when I leave. 3 days or 3 weeks, no difference.
Same basic thing, 1500watt heater element in the side of the block. If you are worried about it though, you can plug it into one of those timers, so it will turn on and off etc.

Martin

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
476 Posts
Biggest problem is waste of energy. As mentioned above, buy timer. :)
If you have water heater, it will age your coolant in the long run as fluid gets very hot near the element.

Don´t forget fire hazard. I don´t like idea to let these kind of equipments ON for long time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I dont use the block heater till it hits -20 degrees C, and only plug it in overnight.

You are using 5W-30 oil?

Thicker oils will make it crank slow when it gets cold.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont use the block heater till it hits -20 degrees C, and only plug it in overnight.

You are using 5W-30 oil?

Thicker oils will make it crank slow when it gets cold.
Yes I am using 5W30 AGIP (Euro Spec) oil, to be specific.

It's about -20 here at the moment, so I was going to plug it in. I don't know if I'll plug it in overnight though, as people have now started to get me worried about a fire hazard. I think I will just plug it in for an hour or so before I need to drive it. Hopefully that warms everything up enough.

I would like to set up the plug so that I don't have to pop the hood every time I access it. I have the option of running the plug down so that it comes out under the grill and into my winch tray. However, that means I have to run the plug right by two pipe/hoses that appear to be connected to the bottom left (from the driver's point of view) portion of the intercooler. Will these get too hot/cold for a plug to be running by, especially if the cable gets jostled and may rub up against it? I just don't want to melt/freeze the cable and cause further problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts