RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, nowadays my L320 is my garage queen. I replaced the engine oil per dealer using castrol ep. A year has passed and less than 50 miles the service maintenance warning pops up. I know it is the yearly oil change. The question is, has the synthetic oil wear down due to time that it needs a new oil change? I know I will send a blackstone sample but I would rather go with miles vs time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Give me your car for a couple of months, I'll catch up. :lol: I'd replace oil and filter regardless of mileage after a year, just to be safe. If sealed inside a jug or bottle, a synthetic oil has virtually no shelf life, you could use it in 5 years and it should still be as good as it is today. Once you pour it inside an engine though... too many variables.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you do a lot of cold starts and not many miles to fully warm the engine up- then 1 year is the typical interval recommended regardless of mileage due to fuel/moisture contamination of the oil under those conditions - which lead to acid build up and other issues - that would damage the engine .

So, if you hardly started the car - oil may still be good - a uoa would be needed to confirm tbn, fuel, moisture % - but it is probably just as cheap to chnage the oil ...

My guess would be oil is still fine in your case ... But just a guess ! Replacement engine costs $$$ , oil is cheap :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it would be cheaper to change the oil but for a vehicle that is hardly used, it sounded like a waste. I will send a blackstone sample like before and will try to answer where the excess sodium came from. If it reads the same then either castrol uses a lot of sodium or the dealer used a fake off brand oil during the free 1st oil change!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just a guess, but I think it can stay for a long time. Probably good to take it out for a good run every couple of months and get everything hot and up to temperature to burn off any moisture.
I have not really heard of any engine failures related to old oil. No oil , yes, but not old oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts