RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried removing it by hand when I first bought the car and failed. Yesterday, I tried using some sturdy interior trim removal tools on each side and it budged a bit, but I was still was not able to pop it out. Haaaalp?

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Sorry to disappoint -it is not removable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to disappoint -it is not removable.
Ha! no way, really? So, how do you access the tow hitch receiver? I figured that's what I would find behind that cover.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,166 Posts
Assuming you have one, its below the bumper cover (not behind it), tucked back under there about 6" or 8" from the rear edge of the plastic bumper fascia. LR used to installed them on all of the North American L322's whether they were equipped with the towing package or not, but apparently stopped doing it at some point, probably around 2010. After that you had to actually order the towing package to get the hitch bar installed.

Note that the 2010 and up bars are different than the 03 to 09 bars.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/279842-2011-diy-tow-hitch-receiver-install.html

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm sorry, but this thread made me laugh.

To remove that panel you'd have to remove the entire bumper cover and then cut it out. That said, there's nothing of interest behind it, other than your steel bumper.

Have at it, and post pics when your done. :thumb:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming you have one, its below the bumper cover (not behind it), tucked back under there about 6" or 8" from the rear edge of the plastic bumper fascia. LR used to installed them on all of the North American L322's whether they were equipped with the towing package or not, but apparently stopped doing it at some point, probably around 2010. After that you had to actually order the towing package to get the hitch bar installed.

Note that the 2010 and up bars are different than the 03 to 09 bars.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/279842-2011-diy-tow-hitch-receiver-install.html

Yep, I do. As far as I know it was standard on the Autobiography. I had my doubts after reading the reply so I went out to confirm. A little awkward to photograph but you can see the Westphalia markings on the hitch.

So no one with this rear bumper ever try using their tow hitch?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You may have to drop that lower rear tail panel between the exhuast tips. The hitch should be below the height of the rear reflectors on the actual bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Well...this is admittedly a laughably poor design on Land Rover's part..

I don't see a good way of using the receiver outside of cutting the bumper up, or using a standard non design-pack bumper.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Remember folks the hitch is a port installed option just like the deployable side steps and running boards.

EDIT: You might want slide the bumper cover off and see if it simply mounted upside or take it to the dealer or indie to get an answer.

The idea of the hitch receiver being that high wouldn't make sense. It would be highly unstable. Thus the reason they are mounted out of sight and out of mind and require much longer 2" hitch ball assemblies.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
Based on those pictures the rear bumper cover appears to be made to remove that center panel so a hitch can be plugged into the reciever.
I would look up behind the bumper to verify that the cover is / is not removable,

·
Registered
29 Posts
The lower panel has 4 clips/plastic screws. Turn them and the panel removes and the hitch is behind it. I do it all the time. This is for an autobiography with exterior design pack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The lower panel has 4 clips/plastic screws. Turn them and the panel removes and the hitch is behind it. I do it all the time. This is for an autobiography with exterior design pack

What year autobiography do you have? Even the 2011 autobiography's I've seen have a different bumper than the '12's, but a very similar black/grey panel at the bottom. Soon after I acquired the car I removed the grey cover at the very bottom of the bumper (between the exhaust tips, as someone pointed out above...see the pic below). I don't recall gaining access to the hitch that way. I may give it another go. Who knows, maybe I missed something.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts

Are you thinking of the L320 platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I'm dying at these responses hahahahaha!

Ok ive got a 2012 US Autobiography with tow package.

The grey lower bumper cover/valance comes off with 4 small twist plugs on the bottom back side. Once removed there are a couple small tabs underneath the center cap, 1 towards each side which you push to release it.

I have the factory full tow hitch and it fits without removal of the center cap, but the grey lower valance cannot be used while towing. If I remove the center cap ita a gross hole. There is also an adjustable hitch which does require removal of the center cap and the lower valance to fit.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
I'm dying at these responses hahahahaha!

Ok ive got a 2012 US Autobiography with tow package.

The grey lower bumper cover/valance comes off with 4 small twist plugs on the bottom back side. Once removed there are a couple small tabs underneath the center cap, 1 towards each side which you push to release it.

I have the factory full tow hitch and it fits without removal of the center cap, but the grey lower valance cannot be used while towing. If I remove the center cap ita a gross hole. There is also an adjustable hitch which does require removal of the center cap and the lower valance to fit.
just to ad some pictures to this=

IMG_20190730_112146.jpg
InkedIMG_20190730_111953_LI.jpg
IMG_20190730_112114.jpg

you push the tabs in and pull the panel out.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Looks like theres a cut line in that gray under bumper panel in the picture above. Is that there to allow you to cut a clearance hole to slide the receiver hitch thru? Does it line up with where the receiver is located vertically on the truck?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Success!

Thanks buba, for the pictures. So yes, it's a two-step ordeal...that's what had me a little confused. You first have to remove the bottom grey piece, which uncovers the electrical connectors and a little bit of the receiver. But, then you also have to remove the other body-colored rectangle by pushing up on the tabs marked in the picture above. That gives the full access to the receiver.

Thanks for the help with this newb question..but If I hadn't asked I woulda broken something. Considering not even the dealer can get me a simple touch up paint bottle on my specific color code, that woulda been a little bit of a headache.

Now, to get a hitch! I'll probably opt to get both the long adapter with the flat panel and ball at the end, and the J hook style that neatly fits into the passenger side cubby in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Looks like theres a cut line in that gray under bumper panel in the picture above. Is that there to allow you to cut a clearance hole to slide the receiver hitch thru? Does it line up with where the receiver is located vertically on the truck?
This is for the "J" tow hook or whichever they call it and is the cleanest install but I don't know towing limits with that hitch.

Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia-Towbar-for-Range-Rover-2002-2012-Detachable-Tow-Bar-Neck-Only-/271290803104

For the full size hitch you still have to remove the lower valance/cover. Same with a reciever hitch rack or bin, they don't work unless the valance is removed but still work with the center cap installed.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There is some pretty specific tow ratings for the length of the draw bar, and the height above and/or below the center of the hitch in your owners manual Think its 2" above or below the top of the hitch receiver. If you follow those rules you can't tow very much. I have an inboard skiboat that weights about 3800 lbs all in, but the body of the trailer is about 20" above the ground, placing the hitch about 6" above the ball on a straight bar. The owners manual says I can't tow that with a 6" offset draw bar, and I can't tow it with the boat in a nose down attitude. I'll get the image out of my manual when I get home and post it here.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts