Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy some new lift struts but I still don't think that is going to slow it down too much. Example if it's halfway down say about 45 degree angle and I let go it slams 8-0= so hard I'd think it was going to break the glass is this normal or do they close nice and soft with fresh gas struts?

Thank you

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
56 Posts
I just put new struts on mine. It definitely helps. But still shuts harder than I woulda thought.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay that's what I was wondering. I close it soft so it's not a problem. It's when I have other people around that think it needs a push down and let go rather then gently close with your hand on it all the way down until it latches and pulls in. A brother in law was helping unload Christmas gifts and he slammed it shut so hard I think my truck is a few inches shorter now. He did a wholly sh*t and I figured maybe new struts will slow it down some.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The new struts definitely help for sure. I cringe too when people slam my doors like it's an old pickup truck. Haha

·
Registered
65 Posts
In the midwest we have Menards, a hardware and lumber yard. The security guards always request to check inside the vehicle to check for unpaid merchandise. Everytime they are done they slam it and I basically slouch a little in my seat because I feel like its going to break. My hood and rear hatch struts work perfect in the summer but its -29 here today and neither one of them work(I had to pop the hood today).(I am on my second set)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
79 Posts
They close pretty hard if you're not gentle. This is especially true when it's very cold, because the shocks don't work well at low temps. Just be gentle with it. The wife or gf will make you cringe if they are closing it while your'e in the car.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
In the midwest we have Menards, a hardware and lumber yard. The security guards always request to check inside the vehicle to check for unpaid merchandise. Everytime they are done they slam it and I basically slouch a little in my seat because I feel like its going to break. My hood and rear hatch struts work perfect in the summer but its -29 here today and neither one of them work(I had to pop the hood today).(I am on my second set)
What the what? I've heard of places requesting to check your bags, but searching the vehicle? I think I'd rather shop someplace else.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just replaced mine (7 years old) and it's night and day. These new ones force me to use quite a bit of force to close it. Definitely worth it!

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
Mine is the same as soon as it gets to the half way mark it boogies closed i now lower it till its almost closed and let go.
Same here. When it's really cold, it doesn't want to stay up. Started to come down on my head a few weeks ago when it was -24.

The vision I have every time someone slams it is the glass shattering... 8-0=

·
Registered
53 Posts
My '11 slams pretty hard on its own weight- if you pull it half way down and let it go, it slams pretty hard. I assume my struts are still in stock form and replacing them won't help but, now I'm wondering if I should try replacing them? Is there an aftermarket strut that is stronger?

·
Registered
75 Posts
...all you really have to do is let it go. The struts are there to keep it held up, not really to dampen the closing shock. I backed my little rubber bumpers out by about 1/2 turn on each side of the rear hatch edges and it seemed to help a little.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Personally, I'm in the habit of just holding it all the way down and only letting go when it is almost closed. Then I just give it a little tug to make sure it closed all the way, since otherwise I'll get the warning about it being open when I go to drive away. I am not sure how much difference it really makes, but I figure being gentle with it will make the latch, etc last longer.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
My 2010 has just had a brand new tailgate fitted by LR (warranty replacement due to onset of corrosion on lower inner flange) with of course new struts too. I believe the test of strut 'efficiency' is the angle at which the tailgate 'balances' between the struts trying to raise it and their power being overcome so that the tailgate drops closed.
On my new tailgate I have to haul it down to just below 45º before it continues to fall under its own weight to close with a satisfying 'clunk'. When raising the tailgate above 45º it travels quite slowly to the fully open position. I think aftermarket struts which are too strong would fling the thing open too fiercely.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i know i need to replace my lift supports. i replaced the ones for the front hood after it came down on my head twice in a week and that was the end of that.

but i am having one hell of a time trying to find replacements that match up to the ones for the rear hatch. none of my local part stores can match up the part number, and i spent a good 30 minutes sorting through all their lift supports on the rack to try to find something that matches up or is better.

has anyone found some without going to LR? not about to pay dealer price for such a simple part...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
i know i need to replace my lift supports. i replaced the ones for the front hood after it came down on my head twice in a week and that was the end of that.

but i am having one hell of a time trying to find replacements that match up to the ones for the rear hatch. none of my local part stores can match up the part number, and i spent a good 30 minutes sorting through all their lift supports on the rack to try to find something that matches up or is better.

has anyone found some without going to LR? not about to pay dealer price for such a simple part...
Are these any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Tailgate-Liftgate-Window-Lift-Supports/dp/B00DQY8H3Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

or these?

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Liftgate-Supports-Rover-Range/dp/B00GGQM91A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

[/URL]

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
945 Posts
What the what? I've heard of places requesting to check your bags, but searching the vehicle? I think I'd rather shop someplace else.
The more important question is "What are you doing outside in -29 weather?" I can't even comprehend that or why you would go shopping in -29 weather.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
945 Posts
Basically, if it slams you need new struts. As BryanN said, you have to pull it down past 45d and then have a nice "clunk" shut. If it's different than that, the struts aren't performing correctly. Doesn't mean you have to replace them. That's totally up to you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
need to replace rear struts. my hatch was about to hit my head a few times. replaced struts with oem and i have to put alot of force to close them. even in -20+ degrees

1 - 20 of 33 Posts