RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about removing the tint from my vehicle. Going Fish Bowl style. My tint is starting to turn purple. i'm not sure how long it has been in there. The front windows are not tinted, but all the rest are. The tint has all kinds of little holes in it, its peeling from the top on the middle windows. The hatch tint is pretty knackered.

Does it get to hot in the summer? My AC works fine with the tint, I'll probably have to recharge it this summer. I've heard oven cleaner does the trick, but i'm afraid it could kill the leather and plastic.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
478 Posts
Good question, I wouldn't mind removing mine either, it's really annoying visibility-wise.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
super easy. I have removed it from all bu one car over the years. start with a rip or a corner and slowly and steadily pull. There may be some glue left behind in patches but that is easily removed with paint thinner and/or a razor blade. Thus far the only places I have ever had any issues is spots and stripes left behind on the hatch and rear side windows. The defrosting grid and antennaes mean more use of paint thinner whech can be more time consuming. The final look however is much cleaner with better visability.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Its just a lot of work to get the adhesive off. You can usually tear away the tint pretty easily but it leaves the layer of adhesive. I think there is spray-on tint remover but alcohol and a razor blade work. Dont use a razor blade on the rear defroster as you can cut and scrape the metal and it wont work. It is tedious.

I put tint on my rears 20% and 50% on fronts because it gets hot here in california. Plus I usually cant see out the back with all my gear anyway. I also made some cardboard cutouts to cover my rear quarter windows to keep gear from banging and scratching them.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
I've lucked out in that most of the adhesive has always come off with the tint on all of mine. Then again it's usually much cooler up here than your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
166 Posts
I have removed tint that has come off easily and other that is nearly impossible ...it all depends on your method and the quality of the adhesive. I would NOT use a razor blade on your glass - it can leave micro/hair line scratches in the glass that are seen in sun glare.

The best way is to use heat, specifically a steamer that will remove the adhesive off the glass so you don't spend ages scraping/cleaning the adhesive off the glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9vzJDUM5Ag

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,174 Posts
I used hot soapy water on my front windows.

Applies it with a sponge, let it soak a for a bit, apply some more, and then remove tint. I used a sharp (new) razor blade to get it started and to 'help' a couple of areas that were really well stuck.

It did leave some residue behind, but between some more soapy water, and razor, most of it came off.. I then finished it off with a rag and some white spirit (turpentine) to get rid of the rest of the stubborn adhesive.

Another warm soapy sponge bath on the glass to remove any final residue, streaks etc, and all done.

I kept the razor blade as flat to the glass as I could, as I was afraid of scratching it, but all seems to be ok. Definitely can see a LOT better now.. I'm sure the front were darker than legal here in the UK... I've kept the rear doors, and the loadspace/rear window tinted, as it looks nicer (I have considered removing it though) - but definitely happy now I can see out the drivers/passenger windows at intersections.. especially at night!

Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts