RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in no rush for an answer due to the engine being in peices but I've no idea how to operate the LPG on the p38. In fact I know very little about it!

The previous owner just told me that it starts on petrol and auto switches over when warm.

I had a quick look in the boot, and where the spare wheel should be there is a 95 litre round tank, the only other thing I can see is on the drivers side on the side of the centre console there is a small back box with a switch on it. With the ignition on this shows a red light, the switch is currently switched towards the red light (next to the red light there is a petrol pump symbol) on the other side of the switch there was two letters I think it was "GR" but may have got those wrong.

On the LPG installation certificate it says:

Manufacturer: IMPCO
Date Fitted: 07-04-2003

Any clues on how to operate would be most appreciated - also how does it actually connect to the engine?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Pretty simple to operate - press the switch and as long as you have gas in the tank, the system is functioning (I assume you would have seen it running on lpg before buying), once warm it will switch to lpg automatically. depends on the switch you have fitted most show a flashing light when warming up (usually green or amber) and then a solid green light when it switches over.

As to how it is connected to the engine you don't say whether you have a GEMS or Bosch motor, but as this is an IMPCO system and they are normally single point I will assume it is a GEMs.
You will find a metal collar/ring fitted in to the air intake system just before the plenum. There will be a pipe going into the side of this coming from a largish round metal vapouriser. Which in turn has 2 rubber pipes going into it from the cooling system, some wires and a copper pipe.
The lpg is drawn into the airflow in pretty much the same way petrol is drawn in to the air of a carburettor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the description of how it works that really helps.

I've not seen it running due to the engine being in pieces!

Just not sure whcih way to flick the switch - to start with I wanted to just run off petrol to take the LPG out to the equation

·
Registered
111 Posts
The engine will allways start on petrol anyway and swith over to LPG when water temp is hor enough.
If you want to be 100% sure the system stays on petrol and doesn't change over to LPG, when fiddling with your engine, you can remove 1 wire from the LPG solenoid.
Usually there is a solenoid bolted onto the vaporiser, pull 1 of the 2 wires and this will prevent any gas to start flowing.
Hope this helps a bit.
Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts