Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi the guy that did my headliner somehow got the shifter stuck in reverse so he punched a hole in that thin plastic piece that moves with the shifter to release it, so i bought new piece of plastic but how do you remove the shifter housing?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Brandon, I am not sure if you are talking about the shifter knob button or the shifter bezel. The following the the compulation of posts from here and other forums on how to remove the shifter knob. This will give you access to the button if that is what you are replacing but may not be required on your model year to replace the shifter bezel. If you do not have the rave cd get one here http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=29 . It will help you with the many things you will need to work on. (read the directions on writing to an image file carefully so you can use the information) get cd #3 as it contains the information on your model year Rover.

Shifter Knob Removal

Engage emergency brake.

Carefully pry the plastic/wood veneer top insert off of the shift knob from the lower front edge – the side facing the dash with a flathead screw driver where the insert meets the knob. Doing this from the front is recommended so you don’t actually mar the wood fascia.

You'll see the head of the shift selector lever and the trigger is held in place with a c-clip. Remove the c-clip with needle nose pliers. Don’t lose the c-clip. Slide the trigger out through the bottom of the knob.

Remove two little rubber o-rings.

Remove the retaining nut using a deep socket.

Slide the handle off. (may have to pull hard)

Hope this helps.

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

·
Registered
153 Posts
brandon4589 said:
Hi the guy that did my headliner somehow got the shifter stuck in reverse so he punched a hole in that thin plastic piece that moves with the shifter to release it, so i bought new piece of plastic but how do you remove the shifter housing?
Where did you purchase a new piece of plastic? Mine is pretty much destroyed and is a real eyesore. I've been looking for a new shifter bezel but really just need the plastic.

Colin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you have to buy the entire shifter to get the plastic piece. There are a lot of used ones out there that are cheep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts