RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a no start condition. Turn the key to start postion, and there is nothing. No solenoids clicking, nothing. Like it may be immobilized. How do I know with certainty that it is immobilized?

I was just able to resync the remote and unlock and lock the doors as usual. The alarm blinker at the windshield blinks when the doors are locked and stops blinking when the doors are unlocked. The alarm has not gone off. I'm not seeing a message saying "Use EKA." Do these mean it's not immobilized?

Brett

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
normally it displays a message on the cluster, saying it is immobilized. have you tested operation of starter motor by jumping power to port 87 of the starter relay? if starter activates by doing this then you may have a bad relay or immobilizer lock out, if it does not activate then you may have a defective starter.
this procedure by passes becm, key and alarm signals and sends your own test signal to starter motor.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,198 Posts
It sounds like the immobiliser is working as it should, and turning off when you unlock. If it wasn't, you would get an 'ENGINE DISABLED' message on the dash.

What year/engine is your P38. If it is pre-99 GEMS petrol, then with the key in ignition position III, you should get the orange 'check engine' light on the dash.

If you don't have this, then the engine ECU hasn't received a valid immobiliser code. Usually it's because the BECM/Engine ECU have lost sync - the codes are now mismatched, so it won't start.

It can be resynced using a Syncmate device, or one of the various diagnostics tools that are available.

Marty

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. It is a 2001 model. It does not appear to be immobilized then. I'll start another thread as I work to solve the no-start problem beginning with jumping power to the starter relay.
Brett

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
There is no hood kill switch on a P38. There is switch in the right latch that tells if is opened or closed. If the hood registered as opened there would only be a bonnet open warning, but would not impair starting.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
I think he's referring to the inertia switch. But that only interrupts fuel supply, not the starter motor. And in the P38a, the switch is located in the passenger footwell, not under the hood...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts