RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on detailing my car before the winter sets in, and I was wondering how you guys clean the roof. I'm 5'11" so not too short but not too tall. I think if I had a roof rack and some running boards, I might have an easier time with it but for now, what do you guys do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should've expected the replies... :doh: I had a great laugh, though. So, I guess the ladder is the best method?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use an old swiffer. I cut the pad holder in 1/2, then put a washmitt over the base. Works great and free (if you have a spare one sitting around).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roverdude said:
I use an old swiffer. I cut the pad holder in 1/2, then put a washmitt over the base. Works great and free (if you have a spare one sitting around).
That's a great idea. I'm going to see if I got any spares. What about putting a sealant or wax on top?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
lakbum said:
Should've expected the replies... :doh: I had a great laugh, though. So, I guess the ladder is the best method?
At most car parts stores, you can buy a round (10 inch) soft chamois sponge on an extended pole. That makes cleaning the car a 10 minute exercise and allows you to reach all spots on the roof...lower the car to access mode, and you're done.

G

·
0 Posts
you dont wana know how I do it.... its quite funny if you actually watched me clean the roof, we'll just leave it at that (or use your imagination)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
lakbum said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will see how it goes next weekend.
Post details and pictures and maybe Umberto can make it a sticky.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Boaz said:
Raise it to Off Road Height and stand on the rear wheel.

This is how I access the roof rack and load from the side, nice built in.

Or go the otherway, lower to bumpstops then wash whatever you can reach with a brush extension.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use a small step ladder and a 12" SOFT bristle brush from Meguiars, works great.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just buy a $6 ticket at my local Esso and drive through their touchless thingy... I found that is way more efficient use of my time and I wonder why that does not appear to be common practice!?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put the car in access height first. Since i'm 6' 3" with 42 inch arms, I can just barely reach the middle of the roof. So I work my way all around the car until it's clean.

If I was shorter I guess I would have to open the door and hang off the side.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A visit to Auto Bell at least one a week takes care of that for me. The older I get, the more I lose interest in washing my vehicles :)

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Major awesome necropost!

Anymore I let the roof cleaning be done the same way I do the undercarriage. Here in the seattle area from late Oct to mid June - rain; the rest of the year I use rivers in the cascades. But I do detail my 24" spinners by hand with a toothbrush.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
when did you get the smaller spinners? :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
17 Participants
RRS2013
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing