RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still troubleshooting my transmission's lack of an output shaft speed signal, and one of the things that I have come across a couple of times is how important the screen on this cable is.

Output Shaft Speed Sensor –pins 2, 38, 20​
The automatic gearbox system incorporates an​
output shaft speed sensor which is input to the Auto​
Gear Box Control Unit (Z255) on pins 2 and 38 with​
a screen over the cable attached to pin 20. It is
important that this signal is screened correctly.

I have visually inspected this cable, it just looks like a thicker wire. I can see that the screen is supposed to be attached to pin 20 at the transmission computer, what about the other end? I am sure that I am missing something basic with what it means to check on this screen. What are the measurements I should be making and where should I be making them to evaluate the screen's integrity.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
The other end should go to earth.
If you jack up your car to test the sensor, do you get any signal between the housing and the pin?

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Annette!!

I do not think I got good results. First off the blurb I copied above does not match the pinout on my truck, I have the Bosch controller and used that pinout for the measurements below. Here are the numbers I have:

This is the measurement from the bell housing on the transmission to Pin 15 - Output speed sensor screen

8.48 MOhms. I did not even think I was getting continuity when I first tried to measure this.

For comparison I also measured from the bell housing to Pin 6 - Power ground and got:

1 Ohm, I was using a clamp on the bell housing and did not move it so I feel pretty sure that there was a pretty good connection there.

Finally, for reference this its the measurement from Pin 14 to Pin 42, which connect to the sensor itself.

That is on a brand new sensor and it matches the measurement from the "bad" sensor I just replaced. The diagnostic decision diagram in Rave suggests that this measurement should be 1050 Ohms. All the other references that I have found online suggest that the 315 Ohm value is correct for this specific sensor. I cannot explain that.

At this point my question is should the shielding connection have that much resistance? I am thinking know, but then again maybe it is like ignition wires where you want high resistance for design reasons.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
[ I am green with envy, what a fine multimeter : ) ]

Here are 2 observations..
In the 1999 manual screen is not earth.. maybe they forgot to mention it, but it was only when I was digesting your post after dinner that I noticed (sorry couldn't do it @work). See the picture and pages 15 vs 17 of the English manual.

May I suggest you check pin 15 against 28?

Did you check the continuity f the screen across c0745. That would be a great suspect.

And compare to the screen on the transfer output sensor.. as seen in the second pic this one actually goes to earth

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I just had an idea..
Recently, I noticed on a Mexican market Disco td5 that they had different plugs, just like p38 v8 NAS ones. I was struggling with random shifts and trying to repair the plug.
(B) was loose and (H) was intermittently touching screen.

I fixed it in the end with a second hand cable from a p38 like yours. Made 1 out of 2.

Check that plug inside out.
And keep the 'old" sensor

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate this help. I started puling console to get to that connector, I'll let you know what I find later this evening when I get in there after work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to test the continuity from the computer to the connection under the center console. I was able to get continuity on all three conductors with generally 3 Ohms of resistance. I was able to get it down to 0.3 Omes if I was really careful the probes. I suspect that indicates some oxidization on the plug connectors. I tried to undo the plug at the transmission but I was not quite sure of how it connected and did not what to force it. I assume that I need to twist the base and it will disengage? I wanted to ask before I forced it and broke it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might have a source for a second transmission computer. It would be easy to swap out of the one i have in case that is the source of my problems. Can I just do that or is there some coding that I have to do to make the truck recognize the new computer? I do have a Nanocom if that would help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts