Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to change the rear dampers and having problems undoing the top mounting bolts. No sign of wanting to shift when leaning on the breaker bar. Some corrosion on the bolt heads so standard hex socket (not 12 point) fit isn't the best. Fit is OK ish but with 80 ft/lb torque on the bolts plus corrosion grip there is a significant risk of rounding the heads off. I do have some impact sockets which appear to be wall drive so was wondering if one of those might be better. Unfortunately no air for the windy gun at the moment. I gather these screw into a tapped hole in the frame so I can't cut the nut off, drill off the bolt head and drive the remains through.

So whats a good way to proceed given that I don't have access to a car lift. Just jacks, ramps and axle stands.

Reason for wanting to change shocks is that last years MoT certificate came with an advisory note about light misting of oil on nearside rear shock damper. Darned if I can see it but figured changing them should keep the man happy this time round. Model year 2000 4.0 HSE still on the original units so at 85,000 miles they are bound to be past their best anyway.

Clive

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I was expecting mine to put up a fight having been there for 16 years and almost 300,000 miles, but they came undone remarkably easily. I wire brushed the end of the bolt protruding through and doused it with Plus Gas, then went to the other side and found a fuel tank in the way so could only get the Plug Gas on. I used a 6 point impact socket and a couple of long extensions, poked through the gap between the chassis and body and then heaved on a 24" breaker bar. To my surprise, both came undone. If you get stuck Machine Mart sell a set of sockets with an internal left hand thread that bites harder the more grunt you put on it if you get really stuck.

G

·
soak the bolts in WD40, repeat that a few days and try again... getting an airtool on it might help as well, together with good fitting tool

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
If you get stuck Machine Mart sell a set of sockets with an internal left hand thread that bites harder the more grunt you put on it if you get really stuck.
+1 on what Gilbertd says. These are my sockets of last resort, which have got me out of a few rounded off bolt head issues in the past. They also have "other" handy uses, hence the rather strange Amazon warning about sales to responsible over 18's only!
Good luck!

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
That's the ones, I couldn't find them on the Machine Mart website and couldn't be bothered to go outside and have a look at who made them. Re, WD40, don't unless it is all you have, use something made for the job. WD40 was formulated as a water dispersant and does that job admirably but it was also found to do other things as well but not as good as something made for the job. Plus Gas is formulated specifically for use on seized and rusted nuts and bolts and works superbly, rubbish at dispersing water though.....

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
...WD40 was formulated as a water dispersant and does that job admirably but it was also found to do other things as well but not as good as something made for the job...
My weapon of choice for water dispersant is Duck Oil. Told my teenage daughter it was tested on ducks, hence the name. She didn't speak to me for a week :)
Agree with you on the Plus Gas though- given time, a good scrubbing around the entry point and repeated applications it can work wonders

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I shall invest in some Plus Gas and try again. Another extension bar too as the ones in my old Elora set don't add up to quite long enough.

Got a set of the Irwin "sockets of last resort" last year in preparation for next brake service which will involve shifting a chewed (not by me) bolt head. Managed a work around that time but next time its getting fixed proper like.

Clive

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Told my teenage daughter it was tested on ducks, hence the name. She didn't speak to me for a week :)
Could've been worse, you could have told her it was made from real ducks..... I've always maintained that is part of a father's duties to prepare their children for the harsh realities of the world. When my daughter was about 10 years old my wife made a venison casserole for dinner, daughter was tucking into it and asked what meat it was. He mother told her it was venison and she asked what animal that came from so I just said, Bambi. Cue floods of tears and a daughter that didn't speak to either of us for about a week!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts