RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I research this on this forum I seem to be the only one having this problem.....but how to you get the piston out of the EAS pump so I can change the teflon seal??

I followed Goswin's photos at http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/16551-howto-replace-eas-seal.html

B
ut between steps 9 & 10 the piston is just out. He says "take the piston out of the crankshaft. Use a screwdriver to loosen it if applicable..." I removed the head screw (step 9), but don't see what that head screw does or how it's even related to the piston. I don't want to pry it if that's not what to do. But I don't see how else to get the bugger out.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chris,

There are actually two screws. The first is in the housing. That one gives you access to the second screw. The second screw is in the counter balance and it tightens up against the shaft that the piston counter balance is mounted on. You will need to rotate the shaft to align the second screw with the hole that the first screw was in. After getting the second screw it might take some work to free the counter balance from the shaft. But it will come.

Mike

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh there it is! Thanks Mike! But man...I see it now, though it's a ***** to get loose. Just sprayed some lubricant in there and waiting a minute...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

It is not necessary to remove the piston from the compressor when you change the seal.

Just remove the compressor head and lift off the cylinder liner (also called sleeve) and you can access the teflon seal.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jos,

I never thought about it that way. I just rebuilt mine a week ago and the piston came out with just a little effort. But maybe your way would have been good.

Chris,

I hope the rebuild went well. Mine has been working perfectly since I rebuilt it.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts