RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing my front brake pads myself on my 2007 RRS SC. I went with the original Brembo pads as Umberto suggested. Everything went smooth and I thank you ALL for your helpful tips and suggestions (21mm 12 point socket, C clamp, take lid off m/c, etc.).

I did one side and then moved my truck a few feet and depressed the bake pedal to stop, the pedal went to the floor. Now I am concerned I need to bleed my brakes to remove any air. I don't know how to bleed my brakes, can someone please tell me how & maybe Umberto has a PDF from the manual with pictures of where the bleeder valve is?

Is the bleeder valve next to or by the master cyclinder? Do I need a partner to help me bleed the brakes or can I do it myself?

Thank you, Jimfishguy

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Hey congrats!!! :thumb:

Unless you opened the bleeder screw on any of the calipers you do not need to bleed your brakes. I am assuming you pushed the caliper cylinders back without opening the bleeder screw as I did in the DIY. The reason the brake pedal went to the floor is you had to displace the caliper pistons from fully retracted to engaging the pads on the rotors and the m/c piston needed to push a large volume of fluid to do this.

You should be OK. If you haven't done so already do a series of short 1" stoke pumps on the brake pedal until you feel the pedal firming up and you're good to go.

Fyi, the danger in ramming the brake master cylinder piston to its full stroke is that you can mess up the seals inside so try not to do this next time :naughty:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Oh and anybody with Brembo's that's doing their brakes at some point interested in snapping some pics and doing a bit of a write up?

It would be nice to add this to the DIY library...I'm willing to help write it up and give you all the credit. :thumb:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does your dash display a brake system failure warning light? If not you are probably OK. Since you changed both sides before pushing the pedal to the floor, both side's pistons probably move together. The danger is, if you change only one side then push the pedal to the floor, the little piston in the switch connected to the two brake circuits will move toward the one with low back pressure ( the side where the piston needs to move the pad a long distance). This can also happen if you waited until after both sets of pad were changed. When this happens it thinks that the brake line in that circuit is broken and leaking. The switch piston moves to shut off that brake circuit ( circuits are usually front left & rear right one circuit, front right & rear left other circuit). This causes only 2 wheels to have their brakes applied and long stops. But, this is better than pumping all the fluid out the broken line and having no brakes.
Should you by accident move the piston during brake replacement it must be re-centered, usually by opening the opposite brake bleeder and pushing the pedal down until the light goes out.
You should pump the pedal (not to the floor) to move the pad back to the disk each time you complete one wheel. If you wait to do 2 wheels there is a good chance you will overflow the master cylinder when you push the second piston into the caliper. It will also take many more strokes to move both sets of pads to the disk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the great info! You are both correct, I did not open the bleeder screw (don't even know where it is at! lol), and I have no brake failure light or any other check engine or warning light.

Drove the RR last night and it seems fine. What is my break in period for new Brembo pads? 200 miles of easy braking?

Thank you again SO MUCH for everyones input. I LOVE this forum and would have NEVER attempted this without reading this forum. Jimfishguy

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
jimfishguy said:
What is my break in period for new Brembo pads? 200 miles of easy braking?

Thank you again SO MUCH for everyones input. I LOVE this forum and would have NEVER attempted this without reading this forum. Jimfishguy
Glad its all working fine Jim! I'd just take it easy on the brakes for 50-100 miles or so--they'll stop fine, just not as well as they would after they get a bit bedded in.

Some guys whale on the brakes to bed them in faster and swear by that...so who knows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts