RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with the dealer to lease a 2016 HSE Diesel. Since it is a diesel, I want to lease it, although I can't take advantage of any tax deductions.

It has all the options (below) I want, but does not have active cruise control. I don't have it on my current BMW X5 diesel. However, we do have it on my wife's Infiniti QX60 and I use it once in a while on long trips.

I was wondering folks who have had it in the past and don't have it on their current car and miss it?

Corris Grey/Ebony seats
Black roof
Grey Oak Wood /brushed Aluminum
Ebony Premium Headlining
Roof Sliding
Vision Package
Front Climate Comfort
Drive Assistance Package

Thank you.

Neal

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
It makes long drives easy. I do 15-32 hour trips in my escalade,glk and pilot. It will surely help. My. RRS stays at home.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
If you do a quick search, you will find a few threads from the past year answering your exact question.

I never use any cruise control at all, but my husband uses it all the time. Even though I don't use it, I wouldn't buy a car in this price range without it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think its brilliant, its a step up from the ACC I have used previously in that it works in traffic as well, even if the car comes to a standstill it will re-intiate from 0MPH....I use it a lot on long journeys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't buy it. For me it's always a no deal. ACC is a must. Long drives plus traffic. Also as a Physio I know the value of it. You don't have to have your foot always working. You can have it relaxes.. Sales person will always try to sell you what they want to and will come up with the reasonings like do you really need it. How many times do people use and they will say I don't use it.
When they have a suv with it the. They will say great things about.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may just wait for a bit more. The dealers in our area don't have on their lot the options I want - ACC and Driver Assistance Package. Plus, they only get 2 or 3 RRS per month and folks generally already have deposits on them...

The Dilemma is that we don't take that many long road trips anymore. I have tried to use the ACC in my wife's Infiniti QX60 and it not worth the hassle having it on during the rush hour traffic. I am perhaps too aggressive and want to get close to the car in front of me (or change lanes) and the ACC keeps me from that... Also, once the car does stop due to the car in the front has slowed/stopped, the ACC only breaks for 2-3 seconds, the ACC feature is paused and I have to tap on the ACC button, etc...

However, it works wonders on highways with normal speed and traffic. I remember few years ago we had ACC in our Toyota minivan and I used it a lot. My wife on the other hand will never use any of these. Her must have is the backup collision mitigation system. In Infiniti, the car brakes (complete stop) if there is a danger of hitting something while backing up.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
I would hardly call it a deal breaker. I chose not to order it on mine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would hardly call it a deal breaker. I chose not to order it on mine.
I agree 100%. In fact have used before and don't find it very usefull. I live on highly congested highways around here. It doesn't keep spacing that well in stop and go traffic. When acivated it keeps you at a distence and reacts slow to movements in traffic. Found myself having to hit the gas to fill gaps otherwise cars were just cutting in front of me. Kind of defeated the purpose. For open highway driving probably a little more enjoyable to have.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I have rationalized it this way - if I lease, I won't be driving much, so no need for ACC. If I were to buy, I must have it as I will be driving on the weekends and on occasional road trips as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's an absolute must have for me. I wouldn't buy a vehicle with out it. I would put it as the 3rd most important option, behind vision and sound package.

Plus it's basically costs nothing, I think 1250? On a lease that's going to change your payment like $20.

Works for stop and go traffic too! You do have to tap the accelerator to make the vehicle resume.

Ms Mdx hit the nail on the head, just like she always does. For a car in this price range to not have ACC, totally bizarre. It should be standard.

Here is another thing I use it for. I know I'll get flamed for this, but it's the truth. I use it as a safety feature if I'm texting or doing other things on my phone while driving. I don't rely on it, but it's a backup if I miss something. Driving in the city at 40 and look down to read a text? If the car in front of you brakes, ACC will brake for me if i missed it. Flame away :)

Even if you think you'll drive less with a lease you may want to buy the vehicle out at the end. I would suggest you go drive a vehicle that has the feature and see what you think. Maybe you won't find it as important as I do. I only drive about 6000 miles a year, but I want those miles to be the best they can possibly be. I use it most often in the city as I don't do much highway driving.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the good news is that the dealer sent me an email yesterday that they are getting a white diesel HSE with ACC and other options I was looking for at the end of the week. So, I may have the option to buy that one as well.

The price difference between the 2 is less then $1500. Not worth worrying about at this price point.

Thank you all for the responses.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
Here is another thing I use it for. I know I'll get flamed for this, but it's the truth. I use it as a safety feature if I'm texting or doing other things on my phone while driving. I don't rely on it, but it's a backup if I miss something. Driving in the city at 40 and look down to read a text? If the car in front of you brakes, ACC will brake for me if i missed it. Flame away :)
Oh my. It is behavior like this that is going to take away our freedom to drive in favor of the google cars. As an owner of 3 sports cars and at least one unnecessarily fast SUV, I will hate the new world.

Ps. You asked for it. PUT YOUR D*** phone away while you drive!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh my. It is behavior like this that is going to take away our freedom to drive in favor of the google cars. As an owner of 3 sports cars and at least one unnecessarily fast SUV, I will hate the new world.

Ps. You asked for it. PUT YOUR D*** phone away while you drive!!!!!
+1 to the (please) put your d*** phone away while driving. Those on in cars/trucks/cages are particularly vulnerable.

As for the automated cars, they are coming independepent of our additional stupid/selfish/deadly behavior. The ACC in this discussion is the foot-in-the door of how our cars will begin driving without us by the end of the decade.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I used ACC in Bay Area traffic, carpool lane.

Best thing EVAR!!!

I just leave my hands on the steering wheel. Sometimes the curves trick it a bit and you can feel it slow down by mis-reading the cars with brake lights on - in the next lane.

It works fine for my stop and go traffic. Once you hit a certain speed after coming to a complete stop, it'll resume the ACC.

Wasn't a believer till I tried it, now I'm sure I can't live without it.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
28 Posts
Absolutely the best option on the RRS in my experience if you spend any time on long journeys or crawling along in traffic. Also it comes with the emergency stop system which actually was originally why i selected it. FOr long trips you can dial it in at xx mph and let the car manage the stress of stop & go & traffic speed up & down. It removes 80% of the stress of driving any reasonable distance for me.

Other options like the Apps and self parking were completely irrelevant options on my RRS ATB and other than trying them when I first got the vehicle I haven't used them since. Active Cruise Control I use every day and whenever I can.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I love the feature.

Question for those with ACC:

What distance do you typically set the ACC to?

At high speeds (70mph+) I typically set it at 1 car lengths --- in stop & go traffic, I typically set it at 2 car lengths. I feel like at the 1 car length setting, the car gases/brakes too quickly in heavy traffic.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love the feature.

Question for those with ACC:

What distance do you typically set the ACC to?

At high speeds (70mph+) I typically set it at 1 car lengths --- in stop & go traffic, I typically set it at 2 car lengths. I feel like at the 1 car length setting, the car gases/brakes too quickly in heavy traffic.
I don't have the RRS yet, but on wife's Infinity QX60, in the heavy stop and go commute, two car does does not work for me. There is enough go between the car in front of me and my car that other cars cut in. That initiates the braking and after a while, it gets pretty annoying. At that point, I just cancel the ACC and take control of the car myself.

Other folks have had better luck, but my morning or evening stop and go commute can be upto 1 hr long. So, I don't know if folks have better luck with this tech on shorter commutes than mine.

It is a great feature for highway cruising and adds a layer of safely just in case you need it.

I think it is a great feature to have on this $$$ car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I really like the idea of this technology, but I have noticed several flaws.

First, it doesnt work so well around curves with speed limits below, say, sixty. That is, if the curve is sharp-ish, It may speed up and not see a car in front.

Second, it has failed. For reasons unknown, it has given me a warning that we are approaching the vehicle in front to fast. Too close for my comfot, I take control and brake myself.

Third, the following distance may be safe, but it often allows people to cut in. Fine, except that this often results in a warning that we are following too closely.

I have perhaps 60-70 percent confidence in the system. Perhaps it needs a richer assortment of sensors. Perhaps it is just bad software (likely given how bad JLR is in other respects).

I think that this technology is getting better quickly.

Nonetheless, I use this feature on every highway outing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts