RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, im 30. Lets just toss that out here. But my parents were, well to do, lets just say. I remember My father having a rotary cell phone in a 1983 mercedes SL and in 1986 they had a 1985 mercedes 500sec and 1986 mercedes 560sel, both whch had car phones with the static speak under the seat. I just remember how awesome it was to sit in the car with my mom and call dad in his car and be able to talk. This conituned till even the 90's where the again had a 92 SL500 and S class both with the built in phones and where able to make calls to each other. I think for nostalgia purposes is the reason I want this. Im just wondering if I should bite the bullet for a smile on my face or is this just a stupid waste of money.....

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Ca ... oduct.html

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Cartel-CTD-1100-Executive-Bluetooth-Carphone-System-with-Handset/4701572/product.html

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Re: How cazy am I for wanting this.

I like it...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
Very similar (in appearance) to what I had in my '85 Rangie.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
My P38 came with wireless in the front and wired mobile in the rear. The one in the rear could still be used through an operator until about two years ago when the analogue services were 100% discontinued in my area. Pitty because although expensive they had incredible reach and would often have service when my digital did not.

Here's a shot of my three spaniels waitin for a call while sittin in front of their Range Rover picnic basket. :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
ok nostalgia aside, & I'm a sucker for unique reminiscing....
In any other car I'd say yeah, but your vehicle has bluetooth no? & if so it must have a dial pad right?
So what in god's name is that thing going to do for you?
Because I imagine the speaker phone isn't any better than the car's.
And it's still depending on bluetooth, so it's not like you're going to get a separate line for just the car, (which I did btw in my RRS because they told me my Palm and later iphone wouldn't work, and stupid me just bought their bs hook line and sinker till 3 years later I decided to try it and voila it worked perfectly).
Anyhoo, just don't see how it adds anything to a mark 3 that has all the stuff for wireless car phoning that is legal and convenient.
P38 or RRC or any other classic vehicle, like an old benz, hell yeah, it'd look great and fit w/ the whole ol' school look.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
drdread said:
ok nostalgia aside, & I'm a sucker for unique reminiscing....
In any other car I'd say yeah, but your vehicle has bluetooth no? & if so it must have a dial pad right?
So what in god's name is that thing going to do for you?
:think: I've never seen a P38 with bluetooth or dial pad from new. Although in my P38 I did install a bluetooth rearview mirror with caler ID readout. Still I think what few marbles VMY has left should have a ball with this one.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Re: How cazy am I for wanting this.

I thought he drove a Mk III :think:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
AT&T had car phones a year or so ago. I think they are awesome because the speaker phone was always so much better. My dad had his car phone cloned the same as his mobile so when he turned off the mobile the car phone would take the calls. You should do it and give us a write uo of the install

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Well then I was completely off & I would def use that per my original post of using it in a p38 or rrc. I didn't realize BMW was only 2 years. Learn something new ea day.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I meant 3 yrs under BMW's control

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,427 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
AT&T had car phones a year or so ago. I think they are awesome because the speaker phone was always so much better. My dad had his car phone cloned the same as his mobile so when he turned off the mobile the car phone would take the calls. You should do it and give us a write uo of the install
That would have been good. I used to call forward my mobile phone to the car phone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
:thumb: I want to get one now too! That looks [email protected]$$ while keeping the old school look....

Did you end up getting one? How does it work and how was installation?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts