RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coolant just exploded.

Noxious smoke, smell, intermittent warning lights (the one time you want them to be consistent!!), followed by "engine overheating" - which then went off again, even though it was clearly correct the first time.

it all happened very quickly and I was able to stop within a few yards, and I’m under warranty (I won’t say how many miles the car has done for fear of embarrassing Land Rover), but I’m wondering how corrosive this stuff is?

Firstly, although it’s mostly hidden, it’s very obvious that it’s all over the engine bay, and possibly the tyres, supension, exhaust, etc., and secondly the very nasty vapors boiling off and out of the left front of the bonnet looked like they were eating the paint.

It’s now with the service dept at the dealership, who were kind enough to pick it up where I abandoned it (to the very vocal satisfaction of 15-20 very amused people)

How deep do I look for damage? This is a car I bought to last me 5-7 years, and it’s not a good start. i don't want anything festering, waiting to haunt me in later life.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Its not corrosive, just wash engine w warm water and don't let the dog drink from the puddles. It may be a bit stinky for a while.

What part of the brand new cooling system sprung a leak?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had this happen to me last week as I was driving down the highway and the top hose come off the top of the rdiator.
I drove about 500 yards and pulled over.

I put the hose back on the top radiator using the aligator clips of my jumper calbes to sqweeze the clap back on the hose.
Then I drove another 300 yards to a gas station to by two gallons of 50/50 coolent.

however, my RR is a 1996 P38.... not a brand new 2010.

Like monkey man said...lol...just spray it down with water and dont eat the yellow snow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pragmatically , coolant prevents internal water corrosion and lubricates the water pump. Beyond the obvious clean up and eyeballing the paint, I too, believe you should be fine.

Engine wise, I can't imagine that a one time overheating issue would damage the internal mechanicals unless you drove it for a considerable distance with no coolant.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Holy Smokes! You were just at 300 miles yesterday and still babying the break in period.
Don't let it get you down...minor issue and you'll get the 5-7 out of your ride.

·
Registered
219 Posts
PLease let us know what the issue was when you find out.
Tell us what the dealer is doing for you or what they said about the issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car is still at the dealer. I told them to do a clamp by clamp inspection before they release it, which means I get it tomorrow.

I’m actually wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that the front left bonnet clamp was reluctant to close, as the steam was coming out of that corner. Is that where the reservoir is? I frankly didn’t look before. I wonder if the reservoir sticks up too much and was hit by the bonnet closing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turned out to be a failure of one of the “quick release” connectors, although for the life of me I can’t imagine why the cooling system would need quick release connectors!

How many times am I going to be quickly releasing any part of my cooling system???

Paris-Dakar isn’t in my immediate plans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts