RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read many of the posts here about electrical to become informed. I'm thinking about a 1998 Range Rover that looks fantastic but the owner is selling it as a parts vehicle only as quoted below:

"Hey there guys I have a 98 Land Rover Range Rover for sale. It has a Hunter Green exterior with Tan leather interior, it has an aftermarket cd player in dash and a 6 disk cd player in the back. This truck would make a fantastic parts truck for anyone who knows what parts cost for one of these suckers. This truck has a brand new suspension ( air bags & compressor ), hood, computer and the motor runs amazingly. The interior in this truck is flawless. The catch! Like I said I am selling this as a parts truck, the thing that prevented me from bringing this truck West is that the electrical is messed up in this truck. It won't start. This price is negotiable within reason. It is located in Hant's Harbour in Trinity Bay where it is residing at my father in laws. You will have to Tow it home! Like I said, It's A Parts Truck!!!"

I'll post an image of the beautiful vehicle but don't know how to do such a thing here on the forum. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

I've requested information on the electrical and will let you know what the response is.

The thing is he's asking only $2000Cdn for it... that's practically giving it away! Is it worth considering? I already love my 98 Disco but there's always room for a Rangie!! :dance:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Need more info, or you need to go look at it and have a looksie.
Could be something as simple as the becm falling out with the engine ecm and just needs synchronizing.
Could be a bad battery cable etc.
Does it turn over?
I would say it would be worth a shot, if you had the electronics to fix it etc. BBS is now selling the synch gadget, so if it is that, you will be good to go.

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Beware of the electrical problems excuse that masks the real one.
For example, if one's have an engine problem (say a porous block and a quote for 6000 USD of repair), the thing's worth nothing.
But if he masks that with a electrical problem and say engine's good (but you can't have immediate proof of it since it won't run without electrical repair), he can sell it at least 2000 USD :twisted:

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
665 Posts
tough call. electrical doesnt scare me so I'd be on it in a hearbeat, but is it all he is hiding? I suppose you can always part it out and try to recover your money

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
$500. That's all it's worth. Of course, that's USD, so I think that works out to maybe 2.7 million CAN. :think:

Seriously...I wouldn't give hime more than $750 CDN for it. At least you can sell the suspension parts to make that up if it's a dead horse.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'll bet a sleeve slipped... Check compressions, otherwise don't bother. A lot of times people will say "it doesn't start" cause of some electrical problem, even though RRs actually do have electrical problems that will prevent them from starting. Then you'll tow it back and find out the transmission is messed up, or the engine is toast, etc. etc. I would try to feel the guy out, ask tons of questions, and drill him. If they are hiding something, it usually becomes apparent. :naughty:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the informed responses. The seller claims the electrical has been a problem since he's owned it. Here's his email:

"Hey, it has been sitting at the father in laws for about a year now and these trucks are prone to having electrical problems mine suffers from the same problem, it has been messedup from day 1."

Is it possible this guy has justs been intimidated by the electrical complexity and it's not an issue - per se?? I bet he doesn't know the first thing about BECM's and all the other sensors that can cause issues. I'll be taking my Disco out to take a look as it's an hour n' half out of town. There are very, very few Landy owners living in Nfld, let alone Range owners. Thing is, if it's useless it'll be hard to sell parts once it's bought. That's why he still has the Rangie. Everyone here is intimidated by the rovers - even though the Land Rover was the very first vehicle to drive across our large island after the highway was built in 1965! :thumb:

Still... a $2000 Range Rover sculpture sitting in front of my house will still get lots of attention... :lol:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Buy it dude if you cant get the electrics sorted im sure you can sell the parts here online most of the members are looking for parts and if you sell them off reasonbly you will easily make your cash back

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
It's a risky proposition - when I was looking in the UK I saw 1 advertised pretty much identical wording as the 1 your'e looking at (so close it's spooky) - e bay special with a buy it now price - someone snapped it up only to re-advertise it 2 weeks later with the true story - completely knacked engine poor guy lost over £2000.....just a thought

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would have thought you could recover $2000 on parts but then from what you have said he is only selling it for parts and the parts only price is loads less than that so try him on say $500 - if he accepts you have to be ona winner.

As for the faults do you know anybody who could do a Diagnostics on it? It could be a major fault but then it could very easily be a simple code fault. The logged fault codes should give at least an indication.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts