Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My passenger side blower motor has not been working since I got the car (LHD). I got a new one of eBay UK and it works fine but air is not blowing as hard as it should through the vents.
I realised after som searching that this is due to that the blower motors in RHD (British) cars rotates the other way. So mine is now going backwards and sucking air instead of blowing.

I decided to open up my old one and cleaned of the resistor and all the connectors with contact cleaner. Before i put it back in I would like to be able to hotwire it to a 12v battery but I do not understand where to put plus and the minus cable
In to the resistor there is one red connector and then the mutli connector with four teeth where you connect the wire from the car and then there is a black one teeth connector that you also connect to another wire in the car. There has to be a way to test it without putting it back in?

Another thing I was thinking, would the resistor on LHD and RHD cars be different? If my resistor is done could I simply switch over the one from my working motor or would my fan still blow the wrong way due to the resistor being different?

Erik

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im replaying to my own thread :)
I realised that i could hook up my 12v battery to the red and black single wires coming out of where the brushes are and going in to the resistor to make the fan run at full speed. And yes it does spin this way.

The question to swap my RHD blower motor resistor for my LHD still stands though. Are these different in construction? And will my blower spin the wrong way if I do?

I don't mind doing some outdoor work on the car but being this far geographically north means a couple of hours of daylight and temperatures on the minus side so I want to be prepared before digging in to things

/Erik

·
Registered
29 Posts
As far as testing the motor, it is as easy as jumping (shorting, connecting) two of the wires. The motor controller is a combination of mechanical and solid state. Jumping the wires engages the mechanical side, really just a relay, to let full volts to the motor.

I will attach a video in a minute.

As far as the correct rotation, it only depends on the squirrel cage.

Also, the ducting to the vents is probably leaking. The joints between sections come loose, or the sealing foam degrades or falls away.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot Dickie. :)
Getting out in minus 10 tomorrow morning to get some work done. I will also check as much of the ducting as a I can reach without dismounting to much of the panels. The plastic panels is not that easy to work with in the cold.

/Erik

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around your thought that you have different blower motors for left and right. As far as anyone I have asked, the parts I have ordered and the used parts I have installed, blower motors are the same for left and right. STC4304 is correct for both left and right for NAS models as well as the UK sites I have checked. I can not fathom that LR would produce a different motor for one side for a single market that would require different wiring than the rest of the world.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RRToadHall
I can confirm that they are different for LHD and RHD. The fan blades inside the hamster cage are in vice versa direction from each other. On the Motor I took out the fan blades are pointing to the left and on the one I bought of Ebay from a UK veichle the blades are pointing to the right. There are also arrows showing in the direction they spin.

LHD part STC4304 RHD part STC4305.

/Erik

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Left and right are not different though there is a difference on LHD and RHD trucks

/Erik

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Left and right are not different though there is a difference on LHD and RHD trucks

/Erik
Yea, that's what I was trying to get to... SO on RHD rig BOTH fans are indeed the same part number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts