RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=0:1vpfjmf6]horn relay.JPG[/attachment:1vpfjmf6]

Thanks in advance for any help as i can't believe I have my Rover torn apart in pieces just trying to get the horn to work!!

Little history first - 2004 Rover. Everything worked fine until I hit a deer about 2 months ago. Took it into the dealer as the brake lights were staying on (and I thought the horn was working before I took it into the dealer.) Dealer stated that there was some type of hard wire connection between the hill decent module and the brake light causing the brake lights to stay on. Not sure exactly what the dealer did to fix the issue. I would take it back to the dealer - but the closest dealer is 3 hours away.

After about a week i notice that I have no horn. Checked both fuse #10 and #53 - both good. Used an ohm meter to confirm that I am not getting power to the horns when the switch is activated. I can hear a click coming from the horn relay which is located behind the glove box - but thought I would check the relay. Spent a good part of the day yesterday taking apart the dash to get to the horn relay and also removed the passenger fender liner to get at the horns to make sure there was no damage or a loose connector after the bumper was repaired.

Is the horn relay the taller, dark green relay or is it the shorter light green relay closer to you in the attached picture? In looking at the rave service picture - it looks like it is pointing to the taller dark green relay, but when I hit the horn button, I can feel the shorter, light green relay just just in front of the taller relay click?????

Any ideas or thoughts?????

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[attachment=0:g2b4jq8l]relay descriptions.JPG[/attachment:g2b4jq8l]

Found my answer to which relay it is ..... but still no closer to getting my horn to work??? Tried swapping relays with the other relay and it clicked just like the original relay???

So if the relay is working and if the wiring is intact, do i need to check to see if the relay is getting power from the #10 fuse???

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Have you tried shorting a 12v supply direct to the horns to ensure they are working? Then check for continuity from the relay to the horn wires?
If the relay is clicking, you have power / signal, if the horns are working when powered directly, then it's in the wiring between the relay and the horns.
If you measure and find good continuity, then you're on your own... :pray:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.. brake lights stayed on replaced the switch and the fuse and it sorted it out. Also found that at about the same time my horn stopped working.. I don't know what the connection was but my AC stopped working at the same time even though the lights were illuminated on the dash. It turned out that the fuse for the AC was blown.. changed that and everything started working again.. It seems like these car have "Xmas tree style electronics!"

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhhhh - FIXED!

Turns out it was a lot simpler than I was making it. The #10 fuse for the horn was loose. When I was testing the relay, I pushed in on the fuse and VOILA - I could see a small spark in the fuse socket and the horn worked. I bent the tab a bit on the fuse so that it fit a little tighter and now the horn works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts