RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some pretty intense squeeking noise coming from the drivetrain. It corresponds directly to engine speed, not wheel speed at all. It does not matter what speed I am going - if I am accelerating it is very loud, if I take my foot off the gas it is not present, and if I am cruising - gas pressed or not - it is quiet. The speed of the squeek corresponds only to how hard I press the gas - accerlerating from 0-45 sounds the same as accelerating from 30-65 if the gas is pressed similarly.

It sounds like a loose fan - it is definately a rotational noise.

It is not the engine - I can move the shifter into nuetral while driving and rev, and there is no squeeking whatsoever. The transmission is not lagging or shifting abnormally. The noise is present in high and low gears. I believe it has to do with the driveshaft propeller. I am going to grease it and see what that does.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Any help or suggestions as to what it might be is appreciated!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel or on the floor?

Scotty

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please excuse my abhorrent spelling in the title of this thread, I was very tired and barely awake when I started it.

As it turns out, it was the driveshaft. All it needed was A LOT of grease. I greased 5 out of the 6 fittings, and all of the squeaking stopped, as well as most of the vibration. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts