RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my RR SVR this past Sunday, having been aware of the potential issue with the cup holder tray sliding forward during driving. I realized after a couple days that this was a real problem, so I tried thinking of various solutions. The most obvious being...magnets! I bought a kit at Home Depot which is meant for flush mounting magnets on doors/cabinets. One side is a washer style with a screw, which you can place a "friction" cover over (basically just a thin pad), the other being a flat magnet which can be glued to the opposing surface.

I was hesitant to screw into the inside of the compartment, but I felt some give so it didn't appear to be a solid surface behind it. The other side easily attached to the tray with super glue. It definitely adds some "weight" to closing it, but I finished this late at night, so I'll have to report back if it actually makes a difference. It should at least prevent most accidental openings.

IMG_3002.JPG
IMG_3003.jpg

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Pretty cool. I wish that my 2017 had that problem. Mine probably wouldn't slid since I usually have a bottle or 2 in the holder anyway.

Good job btw. It there was a way to open both sides and put the magnets behind the finished trim it would be really cool but that would probably be really time consuming.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job btw. It there was a way to open both sides and put the magnets behind the finished trim it would be really cool but that would probably be really time consuming.
Yea, I couldn't find any obvious access points. I wish RR had done exactly that from the factory...a huge miss on their part, imo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, good news is...seems to have stayed shut this time, even with an iPhone X resting in it. Had a couple hard stops, too...just to test. Land Rover - take note!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
It's amazing to me what manufacturers across all industries do. It isn't so much of a lack of focus groups, customer input but it seems like a total lack of common sense. It is almost as if they never use their own product.

The dash board on my old Ford Expedition had about an 1-1/2" deep tray on the dashboard. There was a hard 90degree wall at the front and an angled back. Things would obviously never fall forward and gasp touch the window but when ever you had anything up there, phone glasses, etc they would fall back onto the center console, passengers, etc when ever you hit the gas pedal from a stop. Totally useless.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Huh. I thought it was just me.

This didn’t happen in my ‘16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,976 Posts
It must be loose somewhere? I drove both the RRS and the L405 for a week each and there is some built in resistance in opening or closing it.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
468 Posts
We have an 18 disco with the sliding cup holder. It doesn’t move on it’s own. I would get yours replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts