RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks. Wondering if someone could help me with this issue. My hood latch sensor has been coming on lately saying my hood is open. I have removed the grill and removed the sensor, cleaned it with sensor cleaner spray and replaced it. It stayed off for a while. Now it's back on again. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will likely have to buy a new part. No problem. It's short money. My issue is I have to travel tomorrow for work (driving my Rover) and stay at a hotel for 2 nights. I'm dreading the alarm going off in the middle of the night in the hotel parking lot. Can I just disconnect the hood latch sensor for 2 days until I can get home and replace the part? Thanks.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,727 Posts
Very common. just disconnect it and jumper the harness. The alarm will think that the hood is always closed. What happens is the panels expand in higher temps and the alarm thinks someone has opened the hood. The hood switch is similar to an old dome light switch in a door jamb. They aren't expensive if you wish to replace it. Many folks just bypass to avoid future issues.

Then again, what year and model do you actually own?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, RR ToadHall. Is "jumpering the harness" as simple as taking a length of 12 gauge insulated copper wire and putting one end in each of the harness connector holes? Sorry, I've never done this before. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
That is correct. Or you can use a paper clip. tape off the end to keep the elements out.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
Hi, RR ToadHall. Is "jumpering the harness" as simple as taking a length of 12 gauge insulated copper wire and putting one end in each of the harness connector holes? Sorry, I've never done this before. Thanks so much!
Correct. The thought process is this: a switch (such as the hood switch) is an open circuit. When the circuit is closed, it means the hood is closed. The harness has two connectors which are basically the same wire with a switch in the middle of it. Simply connecting those two connectors will complete the circuit and your truck will think the hood is closed.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Mine broke about a month ago, I just removed the switch and left the wires in place without jumping them. Not had any problems with the alarm or dash warning lights telling me the bonnet is open. One day I'll get around to replacing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts