RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers side hood latch (no sensor) has been sticking in the open position. This would cause the hood latch pin not to catch and the hood would 'bounce'. So I took it out, cleaned it, re-lubed it and put it back - still doesn't reset. I figured the spring got stuck in the stretched position too long and it was just stuck that way. When I need to open my hood, I just reach under and pop it back into place by hand and it works fine. I just got a replacement latch and I still have the same problem...so maybe it's not the spring. Does the cable itself get stretched out? Or is there another mechanism somewhere else that needs to be replaced? Once I pop it back by hand it works, closes and latches and when I pop it from inside the car, it pops open. It just doesn't pop back. Any thoughts appreciated...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Never seen a streched cable yet but there's always a first time for everything
Have you inspected the bit on the bonnet/hood, its possible this has worn (rounded edges)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what piece you're talking about on the bonnet / hood. I think the problem is the latch just isn't snapping back into position after I pull the hood release in the car. I replaced the piece with the spring that catches the hood pin, but still doesn't snap back.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Havnt looked but as you call it "Hood pin" may require slight adjusstment

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't think it's the hood pin. I have exactly the same problem. My theory is the (bowden) cables get full of crud and stick.

Motorcycle shops have a device to lubricate bowden cables in situ. I've never tried though.

Not a big problem but if I forget to 'reset' a latch I can observe that side of the hood gently bobbing in the wind while driving. 8=O

Reactions: icdre22
1 - 5 of 5 Posts