RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this topic has a thread already.

I have a 2001 4.6. The latch on the inside of the vehicle for popping the hood/bonnet snapped on me. Now one side of the hood/bonnet is popped and the other side of won't open. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gabriel Bozeman

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Pull the remains of the lever with a pair of pliers. Your bonnet latches obviously need adjusting anyway or it wouldn't have put enough strain on the lever to break it. To get it open you need to get under the car with a long length or steel rod, get someone else to pull the lever, thread the rod up until it is on the end of the cone and give it a whack with a hammer.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the remains of the lever with a pair of pliers. Your bonnet latches obviously need adjusting anyway or it wouldn't have put enough strain on the lever to break it. To get it open you need to get under the car with a long length or steel rod, get someone else to pull the lever, thread the rod up until it is on the end of the cone and give it a whack with a hammer.

Awesome. Thank you. This is the kind of thing I have been reading about.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The Defender-based approach is to sit on the bonnet, releasing the pressure on the bonnet catch, and then pull the wire from inside, release the catch and open...

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
As above, first move what remains of the handle or try to get hold of the cables directly (with a pair of pliers). You should be able to reach them, if not it's only a few bolts to take off the trim panel.

If you really can't get the cable to move, or it has no effect, it is just possible to reach the latches from underneath, threading your arm upwards next to the radiator stays. There's a tab on the latches to move them.

Filip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts