RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble pairing my Homelink to my garage door opener.

I followed all instructions in the manual, watched LR specific videos for my garage door opener, tried instructions specific to my garage door opener. Tried pairing from remote and the learn button on the garage door opener motor. The only thing I didn't do was replace the battery in the opener (which was recommended on the Homelink website).

The opener I have is a Genie 2028 about 2.5 years old.

Any other things I should try?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
press and hold homelink buttons 1&3 to make sure your homelink is clear and ready to accept a new programming
Should have included in my OP, but tried that already.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
I just went through this (but with an Audi) and there was a non-documented step that I found which helped me.

Step 1- Press Homelink buttons 1 and 3 together
Step 2- Hold remote button down until car recognizes the remote (typically by a blinking LED or headlight blinker confirmation).
Step 3- This is the undocumented step, click the Genie's Learn button (typically this is right on the Garage Door opener motor- My unit was a Genie 2024)
Step 4- Click on the Homelink button you are trying to program (in my case, it's button 1). You may have to press the button a couple of times.
Test.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went through this (but with an Audi) and there was a non-documented step that I found which helped me.

Step 1- Press Homelink buttons 1 and 3 together
Step 2- Hold remote button down until car recognizes the remote (typically by a blinking LED or headlight blinker confirmation).
Step 3- This is the undocumented step, click the Genie's Learn button (typically this is right on the Garage Door opener motor- My unit was a Genie 2024)
Step 4- Click on the Homelink button you are trying to program (in my case, it's button 1). You may have to press the button a couple of times.
Test.
Thanks! I did get it working (and I even managed to program my Jeep for the first time since getting her nearly a decade ago).

You're correct - there's additional steps and steps that should be omitted with the Genie 20XX models.

Here's what I did (and for the owners w/Genie models):
1. Clear any old programming by pressing the 1 & 3 buttons until the light goes from orange to blinking green just for good measure
2. Press the desired Homelink button. It will flash orange
3. Press and hold garage door remote button (the remote LED with go from green to red & green)
4. While depressing garage door remote, press and hold desired Homelink button until it's flashing green then release both buttons
5. (This is where it departs from the owner's manual*) Press and hold the Learn button on garage motor until the solid blue light appears, release, should get a purple light flashing
6. Give the desired Homelink button some long presses a couple of times (If I'm remembering correctly, the flashing purple LED will go to solid purple when successfully paired**)

* The owner manual wants us to press the Homelink button again after we get the flashing green lights in Step 4.
** Fun fact - if the LED on the garage door motor turns red, you've ran out of time and have to start the sequence over

One other note, I did the programming from inside the garage (this also goes against the owner's manual and I'm sure it's for safety reasons so I know I did it at my own risk). Oh, and for additional challenges, I managed to erase the programming to my actual remote prior to troubleshooting this some more! Thankfully, I got that quickly resolved.

The Jeep had a similar process. Not going to post the steps here but should fellow Jeep owners come across this, don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts