RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the hollow clunking in the front end on the drivers side. I can barely feel it also under the gas pedal with my foot. Happens below 25 mph. doesn't seem to be related to bumps in the road, more likely while turning slowly. I have read all the treads about control arms and ball joints. Does every control arm have a ball joint. How many ball joints are on each front wheel? I can get the control arm with lower ball joint attached for 95 each at roverland. they also have another front rearward control arm for 143 dollar( sort of s shaped, does it need to have a ball joint. Would this be the upper balljoint they sell for 37 dollars. i,m confused about how many control arms and balljoints are under there. thanks

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
mullinsford said:
I have the hollow clunking in the front end on the drivers side. I can barely feel it also under the gas pedal with my foot. Happens below 25 mph. doesn't seem to be related to bumps in the road, more likely while turning slowly. I have read all the treads about control arms and ball joints. Does every control arm have a ball joint. How many ball joints are on each front wheel? I can get the control arm with lower ball joint attached for 95 each at roverland. they also have another front rearward control arm for 143 dollar( sort of s shaped, does it need to have a ball joint. Would this be the upper balljoint they sell for 37 dollars. i,m confused about how many control arms and balljoints are under there. thanks
The absolute best thing to do is get the range on a lift and tug on everything, they all have ball joints tie rods lowers' uppers' panhard, etc... Mine had a slow speed clunk for the longest time, researching the board to diagnose this is not the way! I shot gunned the issue by replacing lowers/uppers, tie rod ends... Turned out when I actually got the car on a lift and pulled on all the joints, the driver side swaybar end link had major play. The lower most ball joint on it exploded causing the clunk at slow speeds.

Get under it and just tug on the joints, whatever shows play, replace it in pairs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The arm that is the problem seems to be the front lower control arm that is most rearward. i believe this is considered the front upper control arm. The ball joint connected here is worn. I will buy front right and left front upper control arms and two front upper ball joints and have installed at indy shop next week. Europartsdirect has the arms for 103 dollars each, and the corresponding ball joints for 32 dollars each. the lower front center control arms and ball joints seem tight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank the lord i fixed the clunk. There is a heat shield near the differential that lies within a half inch of the sway bar, very close to where the sway bar attaches to the frame. The sway bar which moves about a quarter inch here and there, while driving, was bumping the heat shield. I simply bent the heat shield enough so my finger could pass between it and the sway bar and shazammm!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts