RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this problem:
When I remove the hitch receiver from my Agnes, I can't remove the key from the lock. I was able to before, but then at some point it started hanging up and feels stuck and I can't get it out.
What am I missing?
Thanks,
L

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Sounds like you need some lube there, unless its a duplicate key that doesn't work right. Try spraying some lubricant (bike chain lube, etc.) in the cylinder?

Fyi, I've accessorized mine with one of these--keeps the dirt out:

http://criggo.com/2009/07/02/okay-2/

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
That's a great accessory! I don't have any problem getting it in the hole, it's pulling out that's the problem.

I tried lubing it with, put a few drops of oil in the little lube hole and even put some on the key. The key comes out no problem when I attach the hitch receiver to the car and lock it in...it's just a problem when I detach it and want to store it, I have to leave the key in it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I missed that post, even during my search. I guess I'll try WD-40 and jiggling it a bit to see if I can graduate up to Advanced LR Tow Hitch Remover. I've done it a few times, but lately haven't been able too. Soon enough I shall overcome my pulling out problem!
Thanks everyone,
L

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
There's a trick to getting the key out....just depress the little round pin at the top of the hitch, that basically simulates having the hitch installed in the car, and voila, the key comes right out.

Definitely helps to have a little bicycle oil or WD40 in there, not much is needed though.

: :D :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try that when I get home tonight. The bike rack is on there since I'm hitting the trails after work and will remove it when I get home and try all the tricks.
If all else fails, I'll accessorize the keyhole as recommended.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
806 Posts
You guys realize that the idea of the hitch locking the key in the cylinder when the hitch is detached is to ensure that you never lose the key, right?

:lol:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
IMMensaMind said:
You guys realize that the idea of the hitch locking the key in the cylinder when the hitch is detached is to ensure that you never lose the key, right?

:lol:
chuckle chuckle...following that logic, your car key should stay locked in the car too so you'd never lose it either! :D :D

Now...I've got my trailer hitch, I wonder where my car went to...hhmm...

:D :D

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
IMMensaMind said:
For those like me who like to keep the hitch key on the ignition key fob, all I can say is I am thankful for this thread. I always thought having the hitch receiver dangling in the drivers footwell was borderline unsafe. That and having to endure the snide comments like "Hey buddy, what happened, forget to return the restroom key?"

Thanks Paul :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It worked. A little bit of WD-40, a push on the little pin, and a jiggle and the key came out. Now if I can just remember where I put it!?!
I never had a problem misplacing it when it stayed attached to the 15 pound hunk of metal. LOL

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'll be sending the graduation certificate over right away!

·
Registered
123 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
I always thought having the hitch receiver dangling in the drivers footwell was borderline unsafe. That and having to endure the snide comments like "Hey buddy, what happened, forget to return the restroom key?"
Can someone make up small keychains in the shape of the hitch receiver? That way it CAN still hang in the driver's footwell, yet won't damage much or take up much room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts