Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to buy a Thule hitch mount bike rack for my 2012 RRS. I know Land Rover markets a hitch mount bike rack but its the style that hangs the bike by the top tube - the newer Thule and Yakima racks are a 'platform' style and secure the bike by the wheel/tire. Has anyone used a Thule or Yakima hitch mount rack and if so which one? My concern is that the horizontal bar that goes into the hitch receiver won't clear the bottom of the bumper fascia.

oh, and am I the only one who was surprised that the hitch receiver is an extra $300 option? I foolishly thought it came with the vehicle...

thank you for any input...

·
Premium Member
2006 Range Rover Sport
1,190 Posts
I have a really really old Thule hitch mount and it does clear the bottom bumper

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And the answers is - if you buy a platform style bike rack you will need an extender to clear the tailgate when you 'fold' the rack up for storage on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
924 Posts
I am actually in the market for a hitch mounted rack. It is going to be used on my RRS and my wifes Ford Expedition.

What are the good manufacturers to look at?

I have little kids so a platform rack would probably work better since the bikes are small but I am new to these types of racks so I am not sure.

Any help is welcomed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
290 Posts
I am actually in the market for a hitch mounted rack. It is going to be used on my RRS and my wifes Ford Expedition.

What are the good manufacturers to look at?

I have little kids so a platform rack would probably work better since the bikes are small but I am new to these types of racks so I am not sure.

Any help is welcomed.

Thanks
I have this little budget one. Sticks out away from the tailgate enought not to cause problems. However, I have the more up to date receiver.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...tml?feed=npn&gclid=COWRueHxoLECFQhahwodawhFLg

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I have this little budget one. Sticks out away from the tailgate enought not to cause problems. However, I have the more up to date receiver.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...tml?feed=npn&gclid=COWRueHxoLECFQhahwodawhFLg
Hadn't seen that one yet. In the near term I will need to transport 2 kids bikes, and beach cruiser bike and possibly my mountain bike. It might be time to start sharing the ride instead of the walk with the kids. :)

Of course another adult bike and another kid bike is probably on the way at some point.

I do like the price of that one. Can save money on upgrading my bike (or wifes) in the future. :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have an old Thule that holds 3 bikes easily. bought it for my 05 LR3 receiver, but I kept the receiver when I traded the LR3 and it is the same one for the 08 RRSSC I have now. Fits easily, works like a charm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flyersfan - I bought the Thule 917 XTR T2 - but I'm transporting expensive race bikes - it's a great rack but pricey at $400 - whihc is the same range as the Yakima - another quality manufacturer. The platform style rack that keep both wheels on are very convenient for kids bike though because you can leave the front wheel on. The 'hang and dangle' racks might work as well. Do you have a Rack Attack store in Philly?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Flyersfan - I bought the Thule 917 XTR T2 - but I'm transporting expensive race bikes - it's a great rack but pricey at $400 - which is the same range as the Yakima - another quality manufacturer. The platform style rack that keep both wheels on are very convenient for kids bike though because you can leave the front wheel on. The 'hang and dangle' racks might work as well. Do you have a Rack Attack store in Philly?
No stores in my area but looking at their website it looks like I wish I did. I will definitely check out their site.

I actually thought about the platform rack because I might be able to throw the kids wagon on or use it for holding other things for short distances.

I wish someone would make a cargo carrier for the hitch with a bike attachment option.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
116 Posts
This is a foldable/tiltable hitch rack for 3 bikes . note that one of the bikes is to be mounted using a top bar adapter for bikes without a regular top bar on the frame :

2012-07-24 09.34.11.jpg 2012-07-24 09.34.34.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts