RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I hit a huge pothole today and immediately got a flat. I don't think the tire actually blew a hole. I noticed that my rim was dented and that's probably why the air deflated from the tire. Nevertheless, I have the full-size spare on right now (Goodyear HP) which is different from the other 3 tires (the now discontinued Michelin Synchrone).

A rather silly question for you experts, I'm sure but if you could offer some words of advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Do I need to buy a new wheel or can a dented wheel be refurbished?

Also, am trying to find used Michelin Synchrones with 70-80% tread so that I don't have to replace all 4. I'm sure I can have the tires inspected to see if they are still usable. But....

Would you recommend replacing just the two front tires with the new Latitude while keeping Syncrhones on the back? Or is it best to keep all 4 tires the same and buy a new set?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
My thoughts are this: regarding the rim, you can have them refurbed for around $100 or you can also find them for sale each on ebay.

I would not re-use the tire because you probably tore some of the material in the tire, (that's just my thinking) if you bent the rim and it caused a flat to me I'd replace the tire. You can have your tire shop check the rim as well as the tire though. If your other tires have good tread life left keep them and buy one tire. If they are 50% I'd replace the entire set, again that's just me. I don't mess around with tires since I cruise at 80mph on trip and wouldn't want a blow out etc. Good luck and also you'll want to check the alignment as well!

·
Registered
128 Posts
If your tire can be repaired I think you can use it again. I might put it on the spare rim though. Repair the rim and mount the spare tire on it. Keep it for spare.
I have a brand new Michelin Synchrone tire to sell. (was looking for a new wheel, bought it from ebay with this tire but I have no need for this tire). PM me if you need it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
refurbing will prob cost more than $100 but it usually can be done. i just had a pretty nasty dent on my bmw rim repaired (plus all the rash removed) for $250. but, i've also had rims that i dented (and were not even visibly dented but the tire went flat) and was told that they could NOT be repaired. oem ones on the bay are about $190. you could also use the spare rim (if it's full sized oem) to replace the damaged rim and buy a like sized inexpensie steel one for the spare... those are rugged as hell so don't worry about that. if the tire can be repaired, great. if not than the next best thing is to get the synchrone offered by our buddy here on the forum. then replace all 4 together when they wear out. if that's not an option, 2 at a time is better than 1 at a time. will you notice the difference if you do only one? probably not, but it's really not the best thing for a car with such a finicky dsc.
just my $.02. good luck!

p.s. that must have been one huge pothole to dent a rim with such a meaty tire on it!!!!! where the heck were you driving, the adirondacks!!!?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

Many thanks for your help. I love this forum. . .you are all so helpful, even to a car junky like me who can only change the oil at best :)

Driving in Westchester County, NY. Huge pothole. Had to swerve to avoid the car in front of me (who stopped to make a turn with out his blinkers...uggh), saw the pothole and just braced myself.

I found a new rim on ebay as you all suggested and my local RR dealer sold me 1 Synchrone with about 80% tread which luckily matches my other 3 tires.

Glad I didn't have to spend another $1200+ for 4 new tires and $500 or so for a new rim that the dealer was going to charge me.

Thanks again guys! Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another option would have been to check with the dealer for new take off wheels. Back in 2003, I put a set of pretty new 03 RR wheels and tires on my P38, from the dealer for $500, for all 5.

·
Registered
159 Posts
woldd90 said:
Another option would have been to check with the dealer for new take off wheels. Back in 2003, I put a set of pretty new 03 RR wheels and tires on my P38, from the dealer for $500, for all 5.
i'd love to see pics of that if all you mark 3 guys would allow it on our forum....

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Our roads over here can be bad in places, the council/highways authority has to keep the roads in a reasonable condition. There have been cases of people getting money from the authorities quite easily when damaging wheels or suspension when hitting potholes. Photo evidence is usually required, fill out a form attach photo's and a quote and wait for them to reimburse you. Do you have anything similar over there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts