RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was driving back home from New York City today and as I was coming out of one of the rest stops on the NJ Turnpike I went through a puddle and smacked a HUGE pothole - which I obviously couldn't see 8-0=

Everything seemed okay right after, but then I started to notice the truck pulling to the right a bit. I drove the last 30 miles home and then to Wawa and around town and everything seemed okay. As I was pulling into my driveway I heard a loud clunk and the tire chirped as I was braking and turning (left). The next time I turned on the truck I was greeted with, "Air Suspension Inactive" warning message on the dash.

Now the only good thing out of this is that I know exactly what happened so hopefully that will make it easier to fix. I would assume the front air spring/strut - however that works - broke and needs to be replaced but I'm not sure. Do you guys have any ideas?

I'm looking to ballpark the cost of the fix and try to diagnosis exactly what broke and needs replacement. I'm taking the truck to my local shop tomorrow to see but I am having trouble falling asleep with all this on my mind, any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So by my Google research it looks like I'm going to need a new air strut at around $400 from Arnott... Sound about right? How much is labor on this? I read it is doable yourself so maybe I'll give that a shot, but if its only a few hundred bucks I'll just have it done.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
641 Posts
if you're replacing the strut as a result of smacking a pothole, then it may also be worth replacing the 2 lower suspension arms that run from the chassis to it ... just in case they've recieved some damage as well.

Fairly easy to replace, especially if you have the strut already out.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Is the truck maintaining ride height?

You may not need to replace the strut if it's not leaking, you may have air suspension inactive for many reasons. Maybe the jolt fouled up the ride height sensor on that side, maybe it dislodged an abs sensor and it's rubbing the tire... Jolt like that can also ruined wheel bearings which I'm pretty sure can foul the magnetic signal to the ABS sensor but don't quote me on that...

Check all the ball joints, make sure they're seated proper and not oozing the grease they're packed with.

fisha said:
if you're replacing the strut as a result of smacking a pothole, then it may also be worth replacing the 2 lower suspension arms that run from the chassis to it ... just in case they've recieved some damage as well.

Fairly easy to replace, especially if you have the strut already out.
The upper and lower ball joints? I wouldn't call that an easy swap for the non mechanically inclined. When I did mine it included a 10 pound sledge hammer, a pickle fork, a whole can of wd40 and 3 hours.

G

·
0 Posts
brad s1 said:
The upper and lower ball joints? I wouldn't call that an easy swap for the non mechanically inclined. When I did mine it included a 10 pound sledge hammer, a pickle fork, a whole can of wd40 and 3 hours.
Air tools are a wonderful invention. :dance:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Mr. Range Rover said:
[quote="brad s1":celoeuy1]The upper and lower ball joints? I wouldn't call that an easy swap for the non mechanically inclined. When I did mine it included a 10 pound sledge hammer, a pickle fork, a whole can of wd40 and 3 hours.
Air tools are a wonderful invention. :dance:[/quote:celoeuy1]

I have air tools, you still need to bash the ball joint out. I suppose I could have used an air hammer with a pickle fork attachment... haha, maybe next time

·
Registered
17 Posts
brad s1 said:
[quote="Mr. Range Rover":10w8tydr][quote="brad s1":10w8tydr]The upper and lower ball joints? I wouldn't call that an easy swap for the non mechanically inclined. When I did mine it included a 10 pound sledge hammer, a pickle fork, a whole can of wd40 and 3 hours.
Air tools are a wonderful invention. :dance:[/quote:10w8tydr]

pickle fork attachment... [/quote:10w8tydr]

mmmm, pickle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay guys, the truck is currently getting fixed... Thank god for manufactured air shocks/struts!!

Anyway, I needed a new air shock/strut and a new ride height sensor. They are in the process of installing it all now so hopefully this **** thing stays together for the next few months :)

Thanks for the input guys.

-Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts