Range Rovers Forum banner

highest mileage 2010 to 2012 with original timing chain

25K views 65 replies 28 participants last post by  LuisC 
#1 ·
curious how far people have gone on the original.

#2 ·
My L320 Sport with the non Supercharged engine chugged a healthy 119k before I had the extended warranty replace them. Weren’t too bad if I’m being honest. All highway miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
I think the challenge is the timing chain guides that go bad on the 2010-2012. Worse on the Supercharger. I was at a Land Rover Indy shop a little over a year ago, and were replacing two engines due to the timing chain issue. both were 2011 sports supercharged with less than 40k miles. I guess its a crapshoot.

#6 ·
i called a well respected independent guy on the greenwich/bedford ny border and he said he wouldnt touch the job!! So i dropped it off at land rover. about to cross 80k miles and thinking i shld just do the chain given i've gone this far and id like to keep the car forever. just tough spending 8k on a car thats worth maybe 10k

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
You got me curious so I called and asked for a quote as well. 2010 131k miles. They said 4500, 4 years,48k miles. No inspection. I was just curious, but man, that sales guy was relentless to get me to sign right then and there. I told him I'd need to read the coverage details first and research their company. He got more and more aggressive. Beyond trying to get a commision in my view. It became rather comical to me. Didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling at all. I started to do a review search and it appears most of those sites are BS. Be careful.

#18 ·
I'm at 77k miles right now and have no indication of the clicking noise. Fingers crossed it stays that way. I'm not sure if oil change frequency really helps or not but I have gone with the 6 months/6.5k miles, whichever comes first with all oil changes. Also most of my miles are highway miles for trips and do not do much city driving.

#30 ·
no problem. if they asked to be paid in full upfront that wld make the decision harder. but all they ask for is 10 percent down and then its a monthly payment. If there going to screw people over not having been paid in full, well thats just dumb. my car has been pretty rock solid. its just this darn timing chain that we need to deal with.

#32 ·
you guys might want to check out Carchex. I got a 5yr/60K warranty from them when I purchased my 2011 SC back in 2016. It was cheaper than what the dealer offered but not as cheap as what you are saying for Carshield. No exclusions (meaning it covers timing chain etc).

I bought this specifically to cover the timing chain. I have since had a couple claims on the warranty, one being a brand new transmission (it died about 3 months after I purchased the vehicle ... thank god I had a warranty). So it's already paid for itself.

The local LR mechanic I take it to has been really amazed at their service. So far they have covered both claims no questions asked no inspection. He said he had problems with other warranty companies. So worth checking out IMHO.

#34 ·
If a warranty sounds to good to be true, it is. About 4 years ago I bought a warranty from “Wanted Auto” for my BMW GT. Only $2,000 for a Platnuium warranty with zero deductible for 3 years. According to the sales person it covered everything. They also had amazing reviews from a website called Trusted Review or some crap.

I ended up buying the warranty. Tried using the first 3 months of ownership... nothing. Tried to use to replace a sunroof... nothing. When I left a nasty review on this website I learned about them from, I was contacted by the CFO who said he was sorry and would take care of me by sending me a check for half the repair cost if I would change my review. I said I would if I get my check. Never received my check but my review was changed.

About a year after purchase of this warranty, I found something they had to cover. BMW called and discovered they are B.K.

Long story short, the best warranty is this forum and the cash you saved to repair yourself.

#35 ·
I filled out the online form to get a quote from Carchex but did not give my real phone number (email was legit) for their "instant" quote - that was yesterday, no quote turned up online or by email as of today … guess they all want to Talk to you - like that changes the coverage or price lol.

#36 ·
Jumping in here and forgive me if I am wrong. For my 2012 I purchased the MRC - members choice warranty with Cuna Mutual. I need to double check my length of time I believe it was 3 or 4 years of platinum coverage $250 deductible for $3400. The plan says to cover timing chains etc. So far it has covered about 5k in repairs at my dealership for the air suspension going out, new struts and bushings and then my brake booster as well. I went with this warranty instead of having the dealership certify it as they wanted an insane amount of money. I had my service advisor look over the coverage and he said it was close to the certification. May be worth looking into for some of the other members on here.

#38 ·
I didn't realize you could get a warranty. I just lost my transfer case and transmission in the same day. I had called carshield type co. Apparently carshield isn't available in WI? Anyway all of them told me they don't cover LR one guy said "they're too exotic" would love a warranty LOVE a warranty

#39 ·
Agh okay sorry, I am not sure how it works. I am not an employee just financed the car through a credit union partnered with them when I bought it. When I told the credit union about the cpo warranty cost they sent me the information for the MRC warranty. Although skeptical at first once my service advisor looked it over and said it was good then I went for it. Another one I have experience with was Easy Care on our BMW 7 series and they covered pretty much everything besides hoses. Just be sure to get the top tier coverage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.