RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
My L320 Sport with the non Supercharged engine chugged a healthy 119k before I had the extended warranty replace them. Weren’t too bad if I’m being honest. All highway miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I went through Howard Orloff, it was a Rover supplied extended warranty. Service was done under Easy Care or something close to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the challenge is the timing chain guides that go bad on the 2010-2012. Worse on the Supercharger. I was at a Land Rover Indy shop a little over a year ago, and were replacing two engines due to the timing chain issue. both were 2011 sports supercharged with less than 40k miles. I guess its a crapshoot.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i called a well respected independent guy on the greenwich/bedford ny border and he said he wouldnt touch the job!! So i dropped it off at land rover. about to cross 80k miles and thinking i shld just do the chain given i've gone this far and id like to keep the car forever. just tough spending 8k on a car thats worth maybe 10k

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
$3000 preventative maintenance vs $10,000 engine replacement?

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
TTForce.. I was talking used engine.

A new engine is close to $30,000 after taxes, labour, cooling pipes, etc.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TTForce.. I was talking used engine.

A new engine is close to $30,000 after taxes, labour, cooling pipes, etc.
got ya. im going to eat the 8k now and do it. ill be happy if i get 150k miles out of it. cant realistically see going much beyond that

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dealer says to revisit after another 10k miles. said the sound isnnt too bad yet and plenty of room to go. hope he's right. lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is there a typical mileage point where the chain guides seem to start getting noisy? Or is it random?
I'm at 77k miles right now and have no indication of the clicking noise. Fingers crossed it stays that way. I'm not sure if oil change frequency really helps or not but I have gone with the 6 months/6.5k miles, whichever comes first with all oil changes. Also most of my miles are highway miles for trips and do not do much city driving.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Anyone use carshield? They just quoted me 3500 bucks for 5 yrs and 60k miles. Engine and timing chain covered.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk
You got me curious so I called and asked for a quote as well. 2010 131k miles. They said 4500, 4 years,48k miles. No inspection. I was just curious, but man, that sales guy was relentless to get me to sign right then and there. I told him I'd need to read the coverage details first and research their company. He got more and more aggressive. Beyond trying to get a commision in my view. It became rather comical to me. Didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling at all. I started to do a review search and it appears most of those sites are BS. Be careful.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Anyone use carshield? They just quoted me 3500 bucks for 5 yrs and 60k miles. Engine and timing chain covered.

Hey ttforcefed, I just picked up the same MY11 but L320 SC with 77k. Been thinking about getting an extended warrantee, so I gave CarShield a call. They said they could not offer me coverage, other than some weird mediation policy for $400. I'm thinking it's because I'm in SoCal? Not sure what state you're in, but if in SoCal, maybe you could let me know who you spoke with? The dealer wants $8600 for a 3yr 36K bumper to bumper:shock: Wondering if anyone else in So Cal has a source for an reputable extended warrantee that won't break the bank? Thanks

1 - 20 of 66 Posts