RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along 2006 supercharged, dashboard goes nuts fault warnings and chimes and lights, radio kicks off, then the whole dash lit up, and promptly went dark. Get it home thank god, and find a loose battery terminal. Tightened that, checked all fuses, battery showing 12.7. Start it up, and check the voltage, 16.4. rechecked and confirmed. Is this even plausible? the alternator is less than a year old.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
totally plausible. makes no difference the age of the alternator... if it fails it can give low/no output or go off the scale and fry your battery and create havoc with your systems. If you are measuring over 14 to 14.4 14.5 V on output your alternator is on some seriously good drugs and having a party at the expense of your electrical system. Go down to your local parts house, get a rebuilt alternator and install... if your one yer old unit has no warranty left.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
441 Posts
Agree .... you will damage the systems over 14.5v or so. But check your terminals again first . What does battery read when car is off ? The terminal connector on the battery is a strange design .... I had issues this week with the ground connection. Need battery shim to fix it.

I replaced original alternator at ~10 years 90k ... diodes broke down from heat damage. Got a denso reman from rock - that is also giving me problems after less than a year- probably they did not put new diodes in !

Need the truck to move - so I went to pepboys and got a “lifetime warranty” one ... at least I can get same day replacement if there is a future issue.

The video on how to replace alt from underneath on Atlantic British site is good- except they skip over the part where you put the mount bolts back. I struggled with that for hours before I found the trick - getting one of the lower bolts in is possible - but then holding the alternator is position while trying to get the other bolts is a pita! I used a smal piece for of 2x4 and the siccsor jack to push/rotate the alternator around to get the top bolt in. Also make sure the positive cable is not stuck in front of the cable running along the chassis rail.
Good luck !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Im putting a new one in now, the old new one had a lifetime warranty. With any luck this one will last a bit longer than three months cause im not looking forward to doing this again. Ive never had one fail high before. Ill be lucky if the battery is the only thing it fried. I appreciate the support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts