RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has been really great to me but my Range Rover 2000 171,000 miles, which I bought a few months ago, has been one problem after another. It currently is not passing emissions and the mechanic cannot figure out why, thankfully I have some of this forum's expert posters guiding me through this process.

However, today the light which displays the temperature control dimmed and now needs to be fixed. It is just another thing in what seems like an endless parade of issues. Is this to be expected with a high mileage Range Rover? How much do you estimate you spend on up keep with a model given my specifications? I am debating buying a second car to use while this one is at the mechanic. Is this recommended?

Thanks again, this forum is such a valuable resource for me. I am feeling a lot of regret for my purchase at this point and I need to know if I can afford to keep my truck or if it will prove too costly.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Owning this truck and NOT doing your own work is a costly endeavor. I wouldn't take my lawnmower to a mechanic, much less my trusted Rover.

Good luck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dude, you complaing about a burnt out light?????

This is the wrong truck for you.

Sorry, not trying to sound mean but Jsmooth has got a point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vmystikilv said:

I appreciate the honesty. It isn't so much the light as it is yet another problem. Literally the fifth issue since I bought the truck two months ago. Maybe my mentality of each issue being negative instead of an opportunity to play/learn with the truck is the problem. Never having spent much time working on cars, this would be new for me but maybe I should start trying to deal with the problems myself instead of taking it to the mechanic. I do however have the luxury of getting all my work done free and getting my parts at cost from my mechanic though.

Perhaps if the light had went out a few months down the road I would think "no big deal, I can fix this during the upcoming weekend" but the truth is it just feels like another weight thrown on my shoulders in connection to this vehicle at the moment.

·
Registered
701 Posts
First off, make sure the light is not a "service engine" light. It has caused my rangie to fail emissions in the past. the service engine light is useless in reality. The emission testers constantly confuse the ses light with the cel light (check engine light).

A rover will test the patience of a person, that is for sure. Mine does all sorts of weird things day to day. Do I consider them problems? No. It is simply the nature of the vehicle. I, and many others, have adapted to its "quirkiness". I look at Rovers like aircraft. They are very reliable to their core, but have stupid idiotic problems that come and go from time to time. If you expect perfection from a rover, I would suggest another vehicle. If you want a vehicle that actually has a personality and is unique to any other, and can put up with it's quirks. I would highly recommend a rover. Even though it is your fifth "issue" you will eventually get most of them worked out. If you do the repairs yourself, you will gain an understanding of the vehicle and become more comfortable with it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Prior to owning the current RR, I must admit that I was not a very mechanically inclined guy to say the least. In fact, in pre-RR life, I probably did 1 or 2 oil change.

However, with the RR, I don't know what happened, but I found myself "transformed" into a decent skilled mechanic. I think this forum has a lot to do with it, but I started to find joy in tinkering with automobiles now. I now actually have a very good collection of tools, and in addition to browsing the RR forum, next favorite past-time for me is to browse/buy good work tools!

I would say that in order to be happy w/ the ownership of RRs, you have got to start doing your own repairs and maintenance. You'll find that most repairs are relatively easy, especially with the help from guys on this forum. If you let your mechanics handle your repairs, you simply do not get the full enjoyment of the ownership, not to mention depleting funds from your wallet-if not your retirement savings!

These days, it may sound sadistic, but I look forward to making repairs on RRs. There are certain things that I do not look forward to, such as replacing AC blend motors, but most of the repairs is actually fun.

Hopefully, you find yourself transformed as well. Good luck.

BTW, if you do your own repairs, you'll find that you only have to budget maybe $50-$100/monthly on average for RR upkeep.

·
Registered
541 Posts
RoveRove said:
vmystikilv said:

I appreciate the honesty. It isn't so much the light as it is yet another problem. Literally the fifth issue since I bought the truck two months ago. Maybe my mentality of each issue being negative instead of an opportunity to play/learn with the truck is the problem. Never having spent much time working on cars, this would be new for me but maybe I should start trying to deal with the problems myself instead of taking it to the mechanic. I do however have the luxury of getting all my work done free and getting my parts at cost from my mechanic though.

Perhaps if the light had went out a few months down the road I would think "no big deal, I can fix this during the upcoming weekend" but the truth is it just feels like another weight thrown on my shoulders in connection to this vehicle at the moment.

Good gawd man, you have access to a free mechanic you are way ahead of many of us already, so cheer up! If this person does your work for free you are already saving a ton of cash. In reality, just about any vehicle with that many miles is going to have niggling issues from time to time. You very well may have a higher standard of what you expect from your Rangie than the prior owner did, therefore these things you want to fix, whereas the prior owner may have just brushed them off. I'm in a similar situation, I want everything to work perfectly, which required a lot of time and investment when I first got the truck to bring it up to snuff. Doing most of my own work has been a fun learning experience, although I've done quite a bit of work on other vehicles in the past.

So, perhaps re-arrange your attitude to one of taking this vehicle as a hobby, relax a little, do some research, try some easier jobs first (like your temp light), and post up here when you need help. Next thing you know you'll be helping others with these little issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 96 p38 for 6 months and in that time I have replaced the head gasket, vis fan, radiator, one blower motor, replaced all bulbs in radio,a/c control and instrument panels, replaced sunroof, subwoofer, abs pump, heater core o-rings, and a tie rod. These are the costs of buying a used vech. Granted if all these probes were apperent when I looked at it I prob wouldn't of bought it but I did. Use the resources here and get to know your p38. Best site for all things p38. Thanks guys

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Really are we going down this road you guys?

·
Registered
269 Posts
yes. the next question is what country...would you like the left lane or right?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Some of us have diarrhea of the fingers on occasion. :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts