RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car used to always idle around 800 - 900 rpm when i neutral it is now sitting at 1200 - 1300 when in neutral this only started yesterday , I am at my tethars end with the brakes not working and the eas on bump stops I cant get the vehicle to rise it is driving me mad

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Jeremy, Somtimes your idle will run high when you have a vacume leak. Go by a can of starter fluid, and spray it around the hoses and intake when you find the leak the idle will raise very high.
As far as the EAS system this is easy stuff, there is a lot of post on this, you just need to do the work.
Start by isolating just the bags, remove the lines going in to the valve block to each bag, install a fitting (schader valve) to each line. Fill each bag to whatever psi so the car sits level and see if a corner drops. If it does then you know you have a leak in that bag or, line. if it does not drop then report back, so we can help you figure out the rest of it.

Scotty

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Did this happen all of a sudden, if so then I would say idle control valve is sticking, they can be cleaned up but dont force the needle bit in or out

Were you able to reset the EAS fault you had.........did you read faults, if so what were they
What year model and mileage/km's does the Rangie have......
As rule when I do EAS valve blocks I also replace the diaphragm, it's are a problem area to note

What problems are you having with brakes

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the idle has jumped a few hundred RPM as you state, check that the throttle body has not jumped out of the bracket.
Follow the throttle cable back onto the cruise control vacuum and you will see if it has 'popped out' which pulls on your cable, increasing your idle speed.

Happened to me a few times. Hope you have the same easy fix.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I would make sure your EGR lines are attached.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had high idle problems a few weeks after I first bought my 1998 4.6 GEMS. Solution was to remove & clean the IACV, Throttle Body and Plenum chamber using carb cleaner.

Since then (two years & counting), it has always idled steady at 700RPM and much smoother to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts