RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So my recently acquired 1984 4 door RR is a little odd. It is a grey Texas import (12ml on the clock when registered in 1984) which has an automatic gearbox and AC. The AC is definitely not a slick installation and the gearbox has some odd arrangements as well. This could be after the fact tweaks by the Previous Owner or adjustments made for the US import together with some smog contraptions. It led a fairly good life (although a little sun bleached) with only 41k on the clock and a bunch of history to back it up.

So the auto box is the 3 speed Chrysler Torqueflite 727 mated to what looks like a standard LT230R. I was playing with the hi-low lever and just could not get it out of hi range. Not a big deal for now plenty other areas to work on. Then I was sitting in the car the other day and tried again and it just shifted in low no problem. Heh? Turns out that there must be a crude electric interlock as I found it will only move when the engine is off(?). My starter interlock is working fine on the auto trans, but putting it in neutral with the engine running alone is not enough, you have to switch the engine off.

Is this a normal arrangement?

Next I have the issue that the adjustment if off (maybe I bend it trying earlier) and it does not stay in low as the lever hits the end of it's travel. It is a little hard to get in there, is there an easy way to adjust this lever?

Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no idea on older gray market models, but on my 95 classic I removed the transfer case interlock due to a similar concern.
How do you access this area? Do I need to remove a drive shaft or do you need to drop the transmission for that? Also to remove it do you need to fit a blanking plate?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
easier said than done, I performed my modification when my trans was down for overhaul. with trans installed the next best is to remove center console, lift carpet and drill out the rivets to the tunnel cover, the linkage is under the cover.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks. I think I will leave it be. It does shift with the engine off, just need to see/feel if the linkage is bend as the lever reaches the end of travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts