RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go from park to drive, it feels kind of rough to engage, it was so smooth to put in drive before. Not sure what is going on. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
Did you start to park on a hill lately and are not using the EPB to anchor the vehicle? If so, that will put pressure on the shifter moving from Park to Drive

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
My 13 definitely isn’t smooth like it was new. Almost like the detent gets a little fish hook tonit and needs a pull to get it to fully release. It could also be the aging lubricant in the cable housing just not being as smooth as before.

Have you hit 20k on that beast yet? I just crossed the 82k mark last weekend in a trip from jersey to Pittsburgh. Held 90-95 almost the entire turnpike smoothly which is nice. Most of my other vehicles at 80k plus start to diminish.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, my driveway is flat.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 13 definitely isn’t smooth like it was new. Almost like the detent gets a little fish hook tonit and needs a pull to get it to fully release. It could also be the aging lubricant in the cable housing just not being as smooth as before.

Have you hit 20k on that beast yet? I just crossed the 82k mark last weekend in a trip from jersey to Pittsburgh. Held 90-95 almost the entire turnpike smoothly which is nice. Most of my other vehicles at 80k plus start to diminish.
Exact same issue here. I'm having it looked at next week, will post if they find the culprit. I have 27450 miles as of today.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think it might be the shifter cable pivot quadrant assembly that is binding. I've had it replaced twice on my truck. Both times the dealership did it and it cost $197.54.
When I first brought it in I told the SA the issue, hard to put into drive he knew immediately what the issue was. I guess its a common enough problem he knew what to do. First time it happened it was around 60k miles and then around 93k.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car back, they did lubricate the shifter and it is back to being smooth... Thanks guys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is the shifter linkage at the transmission. It is very easy to lube or better yet replace the rusty linkage parts. It has been a few years, but was about $25 in parts when I did mine. If you crawl under your vehicle and remove that thin metal shield covering the lower transmission, the linkage is right there. I found a write up on a UK based site for LR3s (same engine, tranny and linkage part #s). If I can find the link I’ll post it later. One thing I recall is if removing the linkage to grease or replace, mark the position on the rod assembly to ensure you have it correctly adjusted when you reassemble everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts